Nest Hello Doorbell and the 'Nest' integration

@mrpharderwijk any way to do this without opening up your Home Assistant to the Internet? In Homebridge I was just able to pull it from the local network

I think this cannot be done since Google needs access to your Home Assistance instance through https. So you will need to make your instance accessable from outside, create a dns record and attach an SSL certificate.

Is it possible to get notifications to HASS when for example someone’s pushes the doorbell?
That’s the main reason I’m considering to go from Arlo Doorbell to Nest because the ding on my Arlo Doorbell doesn’t work anymore

@remsta and @mrpharderwijk

You don’t need to open the instance to the outside, it just needs to be resolvable to a public dns name. Somewhat subtle difference there, but explained in more detail in the integration docs. I am actively working on revamping authentication so you don’t need to configure redirect URLs at all though so stay tuned.

@bslefevre yes, this is possible. the instructions have this as an example in the integration docs Nest - Home Assistant showing how to configure a notification to the home assistant app on doorbell press.

Hi @allenporter

I have been using this integration for a long while now and it works well except for one feature.

For months I’ve used device triggers to create a motion sensor, doorbell pressed, person and sound sensor.

I’ve just enabled android TV notifications which takes a snapshot and displays motion on my TV.

Although I’ve set up a motion zone in the nest app I get motion alerts for anything in view through home assistant (not through nest app - it filters this)

Is there a way of only getting motion for a set zone? My house is on a corner so two roads although they are not busy pick up cars driving by.

Picture of zone, picture of detected motion.

Hi,
Great timing! I’ve added support for this in the next version of home assistant – the beta is being cut today i believe. I have yet to really play with it and don’t have a use case for this myself so perhaps you wouldn’t mind verifying its working… I added documentation to the example in Nest - Home Assistant under “Example Device Trigger / Event payload” with the zones keyword.

If you are feeling lucky, installing the beta and testing this week before it gets fully released would be super helpful.

Also, this feature does not appear to be documented in the SDM API, so just a disclaimer.

Impeccable timing. I’d need to install HA beta or a beta version of the integration?

Yes, beta home assistant. The prod release will likely happen next week for 2022.03 but again my selfish motive is to have more beta testing.

Thanks, will look into installing beta, I’ve not run any HA beta releases before as with all the unsupported integrations even the public releases break a lot on updating.

I have today installed the beta, however the zones do not get pushed into the event_data.

Here is a screenshot with my details removed.

Ok, darn. Can you also try ok be or two more things…

Nest - Home Assistant has some extra debug logs you can turn on and instructions for viewing pubsub messages on the Google side. That can confirm if we are dropping the message or if it’s not being sent

Can you turn up debug logging and see if it’s in the payload from Google? Or look at the Google pubsub console.

From the message you sent me over chat, it looks like the events are not being published.

The one I saw it working on is a nest wired indoor camera so I think this only works on the newer cameras. I have actually not seen it work on a hello doorbell

It is the google hello so more updated than the nest. Never the less if it’s not included then it won’t work. Very annoying.

I’ve been using this integration for my nest doorbell for some time and its fine. I’ve installed a nest thermostat in the house but this integration is not detecting it, do I have to do anything?

Hi, you need to authorize each device separately. See the first item in the troubleshooting section of the integration docs for a link to enable Nest - Home Assistant

1 Like

thanks, simple when you know how lol

I have just been looking at the SDM api info and you are correct in that the zone doesn’t seem to be documented in the payload info.

Is there a way to feature request this from google I wander?

Hi, is this zones integrated already in the production version?