Nest integration (Legacy account) suddenly stopped working

I’ve been running Home Assistant for a few years and my Nest Thermostat was one of the first devices I’ve added.

Just added these 2 lines in my yaml and it has been working like a charm since then:
nest:

• client_id: !secret nest_clientid*
  • client_secret: !secret nest_clientpass*

Today I was rummaging about in some settings and added a simple switch to do something entirely unrelated and restarted Home Assistant.
since then… Nest is unavailable. No errors when HASS started. The only error comes when I try to reload the integration:
AttributeError: ‘NestLegacyDevice’ object has no attribute ‘get’

I’ve heard of some things that Google wants you to migrate, but I reeeaaallly don’t want to migrate my account to Google and have to use very tedious methods to create cloud projects etc etc etc.

Is there a bug that has slipped in the latest version of hass?
Home Assistant 2022.10.3
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.2
Frontend 20221010.0 - latest

1 Like

Exactly the same for me…

Nest thermostat
Nest Protect smoke detectors x3
Nest Hello doorbell

All stopped working earlier today.

I know that the old works with nest integration was planned to be removed since the start of the year (2022.02 blog indicated removal will be in 2022.5), but it seems weird for it to disappear on a dot release not on main release.

Also not mentioned in release notes for 2022.10

I think it’s because of this:

but afaik I’ve already changed settings a few months ago…

I thought that was for google nest API, not the legacy “works with nest” which I (and I thought also you) are using. Still the writing is on the wall and I need to migrate to google account…

The error I am getting in the log is:

Logger: homeassistant.util.async_
Source: util/async_.py:180
First occurred: 8:30:03 AM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 8:30:04 AM

Detected blocking call to putrequest inside the event loop. This is causing stability issues. Please report issue for nest doing blocking calls at homeassistant/components/nest/legacy/init.py, line 320: for structure in self.nest.structures:

Yup… Still on legacy…
Don’t want to pay extra to be able to access my locally installed hardware.

Also getting these:
Detected blocking call to putrequest inside the event loop. This is causing stability issues. Please report issue for nest doing blocking calls at homeassistant/components/nest/legacy/init.py, line 320: for structure in self.nest.structures:

After some googling I’ve found a github post: Please report issue for nest doing blocking calls at homeassistant/components/nest/legacy/climate.py · Issue #78724 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

They don’t seem to be wanting to fix these errors due to it being removed…

1 Like

Im resigned to the WWN integration being removed and having to pay $5 to use the google SDM API.
I would just have hoped it would be removed in a more managed manner than a broken dot release with no breaking change notice in the 2022.10.x release notes.

I don’t have any issues … everything is working:

Home Assistant 2022.10.3
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.2
Frontend 20221010.0 - latest

Yep. It seems that way.

But I’m required to add a credit card… That I don’t have…

Good for you… Let’s hope it stays that way.
The official word is oct 3. today it’s the 13th. So I’m guessing they’re doing it in batches.

New users are no longer allowed to create new Desktop auth credentials and existing users will no longer work starting October 3, 2022.

Using “works with nest” legacy nest integration?
If you are it must mean there is some interaction with other componts/platform/OS/hardware.

I bit the bullet and migrated from WWN to google.
Quite a long winded process + the $5… but now working again

I use the new way. Moved from "Works with Nest to the new way.

This issue was related to the WWN integration. Now I just migrated to Google its working OK

1 Like

I used a mastercard debit card.
I have one that I can use to pay in foreign currencies with no charges and it worked.

I put everything back the way it was. And suddenly like magic, a few hours later it came back online…
This gives me a little more time to find a substitute or find a creditcard.

So…
You’re replying to a topic regarding the legacy method… Stating that everything works… Using a completely different method…
:rofl:

After the reply I saw the legacy part… Was not a handy post :slight_smile: sorry for that

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what you did? I’ve tried reloading the integration several times, and a day later it still isn’t working.

The issue is not only with Nest but it actually has to do with Google deprecating their OAuth2 identity authentication method. There is this document from google explaining that the old OAuth method will stop working entirely after October 3rd, 2022.

Both Google home integration and Nest integration will start working like before if you completely remove it and create a new google/nest application project from the beginning as currently described in the documentation. Do not try to do anything with the old setup. I know it’s a hassle but the quickest and easiest is if you completely remove it and setup a new integration from the beggining. Do not use the old project name. Do a new clean setup. They both will quickly work without a problem.