Nest to turn off their API

That’s only for commercial partners. I expect this isn’t the case for individuals.

1 Like

Yes I see that. There does not seem to be any option between commercial partner and individual.

But why would an api be subject to an NDA? Isn’t the point that an API enables access, not hides it.

if you connect google_assistant can you control the nest through that?

google_assistant exposes HA components. It doesn’t allow HA to control Google assistant (or I have missed this big feature)
My advice, do backups…

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::joy::joy::joy:
Don’t reinstall Nest Android app, you must convert your nest account to login into app. And… Nest component will not work anymore.
You can lol at me

But I’m reading Google homegraph API. It seems we can read state at least.
Keep in touch

Don’t know why we should “lol” at you. You’ve discovered another way how Google forcing their costumers to migrate and that’s imporstant info…

Btw: For those who haven’t noticed it yet. Here we have pretty promissing solution :slightly_smiling_face: :

1 Like

Unfortunately this doesn’t work with a Google account. Users like me, who bought the thermostat a short while ago and just got into HA, are still looking for a solution.

that was a sucker buy.

100%. I’d never buy something like that. There was someone here who started a thread promoting a ‘special’ after the end of the API had been announced as well. Hope no one fell for that crap.

Have you checked it? Yes it does work with Google account.

1 Like

In his topic he explicitly says:

• 2FA accounts won’t work with this, as I’m basically automating a web-based flow for authentication (there’s no way at this point to provide 2FA to the integration, though I’m still looking into this)
  • Google accounts won’t work with this, as they use a different authentication mechanism

Since I bought it about 1,5 months ago I was forced to use my Google account, which also uses 2FA. But I have to look into this. Thanks for letting me know!

the post you linked to is 26 days old. HE has since then updated his repo to reflect that it does in fact work with google Auth.

Ah I see. Great news. :slight_smile:

They also mention “Device Access for Individuals” program in the same post, which is I believe perfect match for self deployed HA at home.

The Individuals program is explicitly available for smart home enthusiasts and is likely the long-term solution. Unfortunately they say it won’t be available until late 2020…

So how will that get developed for HA if the devs have to sign an NDA to even see the API?

it it possible to use the nest hub max camera as a camera device in hassio , I recently bought the hub max… Is that the same API that was used, is it the issue as in this blog thread?

Just copied the Nest part trom an older core.config_entries to my new HA instance and added a new Nest Protect to my Nest Account. The entity is created in HA, but the sensors do not have any data:

My Nest Account is converted to a Google Account and 2FA is not enabled.
Switching status from Home to Away in the Nest app is also visible in HA, so that is working. Newly added devices will not?

Worked With Nest

It looks like Google has killed off the mobile API referred to by robvanuden. I had been using this as well, leveraging gboudreau’s nest.class. The endpoint suddenly stopped working the other day, returning a very unwelcoming “406 - Not Acceptable” response.

Stay classy, Google.

On another note, I hear that the ecobee has a very robust (and accessible) API. Anyone interested in a slightly used Nest 3d gen?

Have you tried badnest?