Nest to turn off their API

Should be August 30th of this year :frowning:

1 Like

Seems that something is changing…

The change is that Google have really broken it; some Nest devices started showing up in the Google Home app a week or so ago but they then promptly disappeared and took the devices from the Nest app with them.

Some good news hopefully

2 Likes

Just got the email as well. Looks like a one time $5 fee to get yourself registered to use the console.

Just over one year has passed since they discontinued the Nest cloud-based API. After that long wait, the world gets yet another cloud-based API.

I was hoping the long hiatus was needed because they were perfecting a hybrid cloud/local API.

Why would they want $5, it is chicken feed to them.

They want your credit card number!

2 Likes

chances are they already have it. this is google, not some random dude out behind the 7-11.

I received my email as well 4 hours ago. Just finished setting up a new project, OAuth 2.0, etc. Now need a new integration to work with it…

Yup! They already had my number so I gave them $5…

1 Like

So, does this mean that if I sign up for a dev account, grab my api I can then use the nest integration? Or does someone need to point the nest integration to the correct location?

Or am I being to naïve in thinking that the API will be the same?

The API is not the same. It will require some major changes to work. Good news for cameras is that a RTSP live stream is now available.

2 Likes

So…

Will we native integration soon?

Some people smarter than I are feverishly working on it now.
I’m sure there’s internal work being done on HA’s side, although they’ve probably all wisely ditched their Nest gear.

2 Likes

so the API looks pretty clear to me I just have no time to build anything. Is anyone looking into setting this up??

Look at this topic:

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this! Saved my bacon on a rebuild that otherwise would have be lost and forgotten!

aaaa…how can I make my newly installed Nest protect smoke detector to work with HA?

Have you looked here? Nest - Home Assistant

Also look at this topic
It’s only 1,500+ posts!

1 Like