Nest to turn off their API

Another angry user.

Already bought it, a while ago. Just never started working with Home Assistant until after they discontinued the developer program.

Sell it to someone who believes in google.

Anyone have insight as to when we can get our Nests working once more with HomeAssistant? Is HomeAssistant working on an official integration with WWGA?

WWGA = Works with Google Assistant

Has anyone heard any update on this? I would really like to regain control of my Nest.

1 Like

Would be good if Google do allow API for HA… I’m still using the Nest App independently but would love to integrate, particularly notifications from the Nest Thermostat (which are crap as standard, although haven’t signed up for WWGA). Hive has its issues with reliability but no doubt that is hit and miss. I don’t want to invest a load of time on workarounds for it all to come to an end again.

I have a Drayton Wiser system. Now into my second heating season with it and really happy with it. It also NOW has a component in HACS for easier integration into HA.

I wonder if someone could port across the HomeBridge Nest integration into HA? It’s working with both Nest accounts and Google accounts:

2 Likes

I have a question, I had to reinstall my hassio installation recently. So obviously I lost my nest thermostat integration. I have saved config and storage files. Is there a way to add this back in. I have tried to add the nest information back in my storage files but I’m doing something wrong because hassio will not reload after doing so.

I can’t access the pin as requested from the ui for obvious reasons.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Google just announced the new Device Access API. Any comments or insights on this? The access for individuals is only planned late 2020 however…

2 Likes

Another year?! At least they communicated something. Hopefully smarter people then me can implement the HomeBridge solution that @Townsmcp linked.

Im having the same exact issue for the same reason and I am hoping for an answer myself

Yea, I saved a backup so I could just restore but I guess you can’t place a backup in a fresh install…

@Corey_Maxim @Matt112

You can try copying the entry from the old .storage/core.config_entries file into the new one, but you have to be careful how you do it. The file is JSON formatted, so you have to copy it into the correct place, and you have to be careful about whether or not the entry should end with a comma. (Basically, if you put it at the end then it should not have a comma at the end. And if there are any other entries after it then it should have a comma.) So…

{
    "data": {
        "entries": [
            {
                "connection_class": "cloud_push",
                "data": {
                    "impl_domain": "nest",
                    "tokens": {
                        "access_token": "REDACTED",
                        "expires_in": 315360000
                    }
                },
                "domain": "nest",
                "entry_id": "7aec0ca1587246ea8d822fb23588a773",
                "options": {},
                "source": "user",
                "title": "Nest (via configuration.yaml)",
                "version": 1
            },  <== REMOVE THIS COMMA IF THIS IS THE LAST ENTRY IN THE LIST
                    OR ADD A COMMA IF IT IS NOT THE LAST ENTRY AND THERE'S NO COMMA
        ]
    },
    "key": "core.config_entries",
    "version": 1
}

I’m not sure about the other Nest related entries from the other files in the .storage folder. That may be enough for it to discover everything again. (I’d try just that and see how it goes.) If not then you may need to copy the Nest related entries from .storage/core.device_registry, and maybe even .storage/core.entity_registry.

5 Likes

I just saw this I did it about 5 minutes after I posted and it worked!

Step 1. Sign NDA

Eff off google.

Yep, perfect! Thanks Phil. I figured it was a easy fix. I appreciate your reply. Now hopefully others that have the same problem can find the fix!

That’s only for commercial partners. I expect this isn’t the case for individuals.

1 Like

Yes I see that. There does not seem to be any option between commercial partner and individual.

But why would an api be subject to an NDA? Isn’t the point that an API enables access, not hides it.