Nest to turn off their API

People who bought a nest based on nest advertising are entitled to have it work as advertised. I have never looked in detail at nests advertising because it is not something I seriously considered buying.

However the fact that Google have bought nest didn’t mean they have no ongoing obligation to nest customers.

Unfortunately it means they only have obligation to those who bought after the sale.
I am one of those that received a Pebble watch bought shortly before Fitbit bought them. Unfortunately it died during what would have been the warranty period but that was nullified by the Fitbit purchase. I had to scrap the watch.

Wrong wrong wrong.

“Our advice (as always): buy devices that communicate locally.”

Something I’ve always wanted, and if this is truly the advice…
on the Components page of the HA.io website should be a checkbox to filter down to ONLY components that communicate locally, Local Poll & Push.

Just my wish to get to a 100% home-assistant (locally driven) solution.

16 Likes

I’d be selling the Nests and moving onto something else.

2 Likes

I’ll look into it, Thanks!

Does this affect the syncing of devices such as lights, switches, garage doors to Google Home at all? I understand the Nest products (I use thermostat, Hello video RTSP feed, and Hello motion sensor) will be gone.

A new update X-posted from Reddit: https://blog.google/products/google-nest/updates-works-with-nest/

4 Likes

Thanks for posting. Let’s wait and see, but good to know there is an at least temporary reprieve

They’ve changed their mind. But I still can’t get my client_id and client_secret as a new user.
How can I get one?

Same boat! Would love to get in before they shutdown…

Maybe I do something wrong, but I cannot create a new product. All links are bringing me back to this page, means I am not able to create client_secret

It was a great investment and the best timing to have a Nest Protect. Grrrrr…

I contacted nest to set up a new developer account but received below email

1 Like

So, back in 2014 there was this rooting exploit against the Nest thermostat. Does anyone know if there’s been any work on creating a custom firmware that could turn the Nest into a local-only device? It seems like it should be possible to replace their software with something that can do thermostat control and temperature sensing, and connect to MQTT or something in order to send sensor updates and get control messages.

If something like that doesn’t exist yet, would anyone be interested in contributing to such a project? I might set something up. Definitely open to suggestions, though - I’m pretty new to actual home automation / IoT projects. (not sure whether MQTT would be the right solution for this)

4 Likes

Sweet. “Write-only memory” will now be a reality.

2 Likes

Any updates on Nest API that anyone’s heard? Before I sell up and buy a Hive…

Have a look at Drayton Wiser before you buy the overpriced Hive!

I just moved into a place with two Nest thermostats and I want to register them before the 8/31 cutoff. Does anyone know if there are any gotchas in setting that up? Thanks!

Had an email yesterday introducing google nest.

It suggested you didnt have to migrate your account and it would continue to work you just wouldn’t get new features.

They also suggest there will be a developer programme still.