Netgear Orbi with satellite and device tracker

I’m trying to figure out if device tracker with an Orbi satellite should report which satellite/router a device is connnected to.

Reading the following section on the Netgear integration, I got the impression that I should be able to tell which router or satellite a device is connected to but I cannot seem to get it to work. Instead, I now have entities like device_tracker.pixel but it’s not reporting that it’s connected to Satellite-1 (which the router page says it is)

When accesspoints is specified an extra device will be reported for each device connected to the APs specified here, as MY-LAPTOP on RBS40 . Router will be reported as AP name for the main AP. Only tested with Orbi.

Here’s what I have in my config

device_tracker:
  - platform: netgear
    password: abc
    accesspoints: 
     - RBR50
     - Satellite-1

It does work with the side note of the accesspoints config:

Only supports MAC address.

So you need to replace RBR50 with the actual MAC address of the router, same for your satellites.
With this setting you will get a total of 3 known devices. If your device is called phone you will get:

• phone
  • phone_on_router
  • phone_on_router_2

The last entry is what I see in my current configuration and should actually be named phone_on_satellite or something.

Hope this helps.

Thank you your help! I now have the config as

accesspoints:
      - 1B:40:D0:44:0A:1B # router
      - D0:40:A0:79:9A:1B # Satellite-1

I see two device trackers per device (phone and phone_on_router) but I don’t see a third (e.g. phone_on_router_2 or phone_on_satellite)

In known_devices.yaml, there are two device trackers each. Looking at a device connected to the satellite (confirmed from the Orbi admin) I see speaker_on_router has the satellite mac 40:9F:38:40:9F:38_D0:40:A0:79:9A:1B where the devices on the actual RBR50 show it’s mac after the underscore.

A little more info:
I’m running docker image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant, was 0.97.2, now on 0.98.1

In the logs, I have a couple of these warnings, but an hour apart

2019-09-01 13:39:08 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Updating device list from legacy took longer than the scheduled scan interval 0:00:12

Otherwise at 13 second intervals, I have

2019-09-01 14:47:06 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.netgear.device_tracker] Scanning

2019-09-01 14:47:06 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [pynetgear] Get attached devices 2

After a restart:

2019-09-01 13:14:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Setting up device_tracker.legacy

2019-09-01 13:14:21 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.netgear.device_tracker] Logging in

What happens if you add the device manually to the known_devices and connect to that particular satellite?