Netto Balkonkraftwerk: Chinese inverters QnA

Hi there
The German supermarket Netto offered small PV systems for 600€ with 820Wp and a cheap 600W inverter.
It turns out that they sell two types of inverters: the Deye SUN600G3-EU-230 and the KaiDeng WVC-600
I already found out the manufacturer details: SUN600G3 and WVC-600
The WVC sends it’s measurements to the Alibaba Cloud, where your app pulls the data from.
The SUN600 has built in ZigBee, which would be easy to implement.

So far, I’m reverse engineering the WVC-600. Maybe you bought this one, too so I’m collecting here all my information.

So, basically there are 3 methods to integrate in HA:

1. Go buy a sensored ZigBee power plug (only DEYE)
    2. Use Built in ZigBee and add as a sensor (only DEYE) seems like that info is deprecated. No ZigBee in current models
  2. Try to forward all AliCloud requests through a local DNS entry (CNAME) to a HA webhook

3 seems to be the most complicated one. I go with that. :wink:

Cheers

Hi LukasQ,

Very curious if you made some progress here, as I am also stuck with a KaiDeng WVC-600 and the (lack of) features.

I bought a DECT210 for log production, but I’d prefer direct using the inverter data. You mentiond, there is a built-in ZigBee. That is surprising, as the documentation doesn’t mention that.

BR,

Björn

Hi Lammy and welcome to the club!

Indeed, I did make some progress - I sent back the WVC-600. “Garbage collector” gets a whole new meaning with that piece of software junk.

• They send the data via https (TLS1.2 encrypted) to alibaba. IMHO the standard, unfortunate situation for me - i need to MITM with a proxy. Funfact: They don’t check the cert validity. ±0 stars.
  • Then, you can collect all the data through the WiFi MAC as UUID. You have to create an account on Cloud Intelligence, but data is sent without an authentication to China. Minus 1 star.
  • There is no internal webserver. All ports are closed. Theoretically good, but to gather local data, bad. Another star detract.
  • The data of the internal power sensor is simply wrong. Many YT videos show a difference between Cloud “Intelligence” and manual measuring the power. Another star died.
  • I wasn’t expecting a lot from the manual. But writing “press the reset button” and removing the actual physical button is a new kind of hoax. Down goes another star.

So, overall rating is: * of *****. The hardware itself does it’s job.

I wrote Netto a mail that I was expecting the DEYE (as written in their description), but received the WVC-600. The manufacturer or retailer replaced the inverter without any hassle.

Btw, Netto reduced the price to 500€ and adds extra PV extender.

Overall, the DEYE does it’s job way better. I added it through Solarman (HACS)

Hi LukasQ,

Thank you for your very complete answer. Sorry to hear your experience with the device were mostly negative (at least when it comes the data part), but you are saving the rest of the world a lot of time (and nerves).

Now the set at Netto is only 499 €, that’s quite a bit less than the 675 € I paid. And it even has the MC4 extension (which is really necessary). Well, it is what it is.

I will also try to send back the inverter, but I don’t have any evidence that indeed they promised a DEYE600.

Indeed, I payed 730€ as of the bigger PV power cells and now they reduced the price all black to 500 bucks. As you said: “it is, what it is” and I will pay the price. Anyways…
Remember, there’s the BGB and the appropriate paragraph §477. Netto changes the details that often, no one would ever remember the official product description.
Go and let eye motion replace yours, too. The WVC may looks more efficient, but the software kills all the benefits. It’s even a legal issues, as you are expecting a device with proper power meter and Netto doesn’t deliver (as of my #3)
Straight forward I recommend to move to DEYE. You could also block internet access of the SUN600. Works locally like a charm.

This is obviously not correct. According to the manufacturer, the old model had this. However, the current model only has WiFi and NO ZigBee.

Well, the manufacturers’ page linked in the post still tells ZigBee. Anyways, I updated the content.