NetworkManager fails on RPI boot with new installation

I have been trying to get Home Assistant installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Here is what I did

1. Created an SD card with Raspberry Pi Imager, installing the Home Assistant Pi 3 system the imager provides a link for, the system released on 4/1/2021.

2. Put SD card in my Pi, connected to my Mac Mini via ethernet, and powered Pi.

3. After waiting a time for start up,I tired to reach the Pi via http at homeassistant.local:8123. No luck.

4. Restarted the Pi and waited even longer, at least 30min. No luck.

5. Pinged home assistant.local:8123 via terminal on the mac. Result is “unknown host.”

6. Restarted PI, now connected to a monitor, and watched the startup. I note that start job for NetworkManager Wait Online fails during the startup process.

7. I eventually get a message that says Welcome to Home Assistant and a request for login info.

8. I restart the Pi several times and the same sequence transpires: NetworkManager start fails and the welcome message appears.

I presume the failure of NetworkManager to start accounts for the fact that Home Assistant can’t be seen on my local network even though it appears to be running on the Pi as indicated by the login request.

What do I do now? Is there a default login that might allow me check systemctl status for the NetworkManager service?

I have the exact same issue. After the first failure and several retries, I gave up and went with the Raspberry Pie Imager. When that didn’t work either, despite manual installation of various parts and pieces, I eventually gave up on that too. I am now back with HA OS and the same problems. Both the wlan0 and eth0 are blank on the welcome message.

I am using a brand new 64-bit RP4. Any help would be appreciated. I have been working on this for two days now.

Hi. I am having the same problem. I wonder if you solved it and how?
Thanks. You are helping a lot of people here as such issues with the network manager keep popping up.