New Adaptive Lighting Integration

@dchawisher will be happy to hear that! Thanks!!

1 Like

Apparently the IKEA Tradfri implementation does not allow for simultaneous receipt of brightness AND color temp adjustments. As a result it’s a random affair with their CCT bulbs - either bri or color temp will be randomly adjusted, never both on a turn_on event :+1:

I wonder if there’s a workaround with the settings of this integration?

Check the very last option in configuration settings for the switch…something about separate commands?

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks @dbrunt, that did it…somewhat. Now it works fine if I control the light via the light.turn_on service, but fails completely for light.toggle which happens to be my actual service call in node-red :frowning:

Any chance light.toggle could also be implemented?

Hi all!

I’ve opened a new topic here with documentation (💡 Adaptive Lighting Custom Component that automatically adapts the brightness and color of your lights based on the sun's temperature but stops when you manually make a change).

Also, @dedepene, I’ve made some changes to the separate_turn_on_commands. I think it should work with your IKEA lights now :wink:

I can’t find this in the documentation, could somebody point me to it? I’m having IKEA lights as well and think this might fix my problems.

I can’t find it either. I’ve posted a heads-up in @basnijholt’s new topic.
Are you using the config flow (I think that’s the term) or yaml?
In config flow, the option is the very last item tick box in the switch configuration as per my screenshot.
In yaml, it should be separate_turn_on_commands: true

@haseat It’s there now!

1 Like

The Adaptive Lightning is awesome! I am looking for a way to adapt the color temperature of a group of lights by Adaptive Lightning, and at the same time adapt the brightness based on the number of lux (i’ve got a Philips Hue sensor). How could I achieve that?

In the way i’ve curently done it, it is not as smooth as i like it:
step 1: divide lux levels in 3 groups (low light level, medium light level, high light level). With low light light, it is activating a bright scene, with medium light level a medium scene, with high level all lights off.
step 2: adaptive lightning is changing the color temperature. This is causing a visual change in color temperature every time the scene is changed. Reason: the scene is already inherently containing a certain color temperature, which Adaptive Lightning is then correcting.

This is why I am looking for a way to set the brightness (lux-based) and color temperature (Adaptive Lightning) at the same.

I am not sure what you want can be achieved, if I understand correctly.
You want to manually set the brightness based on a lux sensor but permit AL to control the color?
Have you tried this option:
so that your scene can set the brightness?
The problem I see with this though is AL might no longer adapt the color…

What about disabling the above option and turning off the brightness switch(es)?

BTW, Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Assistant!!!

1 Like

I’m confused by this. Do you want or NOT want AL to adapt the color???

Thank you so much Daniel! I feel welcome. I understand your confusion.

I’d like AL to change the color temperature but AL not to change the brightness. I have found the options for that, which are the same as you show in the printscreens. This is working just fine.

At the same time, i want the brightness to be adjusted via a lux-meter (which is a 1000 times better than using a generic sunrise/sunset schedule).

The challenge is that, normally, I set the brightness via multiple scenes. However, those scenes are containing color temperature settings (which i don’t want, i want to use color temperature from AL). AL is changing the color temperature for me as expected (i disabled “take over control” to make this happen). The problem with this, is that i first see color temperature X when activating the scene, and then color temperature Y from AL. I’d like to see color temperature Y directly, without a weird color temperature change ‘in between’ (X -> Y).

I hope it is somewhat more clear now :slight_smile:

Yes it is more clear.
Is it possible to remove the CT from the scenes?
What’s the code for your scenes?
Which platform are the lights in question?

I had a similar issue but the other way round. Bathroom light controlled by Magic Areas came on at 100% and then AL set them to xxx percent so I lowered the initial turn on brightness in Magic Areas and then let AL ramp them up to the set brightness. The other way round at 4 am was an eye opener…

Yeah, sometimes it is good to take step back and to reconsider the strategy, and/or to ask help from the community :slight_smile:

See below a small part of one of the scenes. I’m using LIFX and Philips Hue. Hopefully this comes in handy when finetuning/aggregating/separating any commands to solve this puzzle.

In below scenes.yaml, light.woonkamer_subwoofer = Hue, the other two are LIFX.

- id: '1606727517975'
  name: Overdag fel
  entities:
    light.woonkamer_subwoofer:
      min_mireds: 140
      max_mireds: 650
      effect_list:
      - colorloop
      brightness: 97
      color_temp: 217
      is_deconz_group: false
      friendly_name: Woonkamer subwoofer
      supported_features: 63
      state: 'on'
    light.tv_licht:
      min_mireds: 111
      max_mireds: 400
      effect_list:
      - effect_colorloop
      - effect_pulse
      - effect_stop
      friendly_name: Tv licht
      supported_features: 55
      state: 'off'
    light.bureau:
      min_mireds: 111
      max_mireds: 400
      effect_list:
      - effect_colorloop
      - effect_pulse
      - effect_stop
      brightness: 145
      color_temp: 217
      friendly_name: Bureau
      supported_features: 55
      state: 'on'

While looking at this YAML file, I got an idea: would it be possible to add the “color_temp” value as a variable, which comes from AL? This should solve it (in theory)?

You could try a template value based on the AL attribute color_temp_kelvin

Which component is - id: '1606727517975' listed under?
It likely may not accept a templated value…

I previously tried templating sunrise/sunset for AL but it failed. (that was in the main component setup)