New Adaptive Lighting Integration

Any way to incorporate light sensors? - No.

Time schedule events could help. I’ll try it. But it would be nice if there are additional customisations in the Integration it self. For example I could set not to touch the brightness but just change the color in the certain time frame.

I’d try scheduling disable/enable switch.adaptive_lighting_adapt_brightness_bathroom (or whatever your entity is named).

Is it possible to tweak the brightness and colour curves? Especially the brightness one - I generally like it, but it is a bit harsh at either end of the day.

Do they settings not do what you want?

Not really (although the options available are great). I just want to set it slightly less bright in the morning and evening while maintaining 100% brightness through most of the day (so changing the max brightness option won’t help).
I wonder if this is slightly out of scope to AL and I should try a manual solution.

Are you using Node-RED?
Another user (@maxym ) wasn’t happy with Circadian & Adaptive Lighting so he turned to Node-RED.
See this thread.

1 Like

I’m not, but I’m happy to give it a go. I’ll check it out, thanks!

There’s quite a learning curve to Node-RED if you are new to it!

OK, I definitely didn’t give this a fair shake when I first looked. It is much more flexible than I realised.

In case it helps anyone else I will give my (very simple) set up. I have three lights. The kitchen light needs a different level of brightness and colours to the others. The living and dining room lights need to have their Adaptive Lighting Bright Control switched off when the dimmer switch is used (to allow users to control the brightness manually when they want).

So I set up my kitchen lights with their own settings in the configuration.yaml. The integration settings now have two sections (kitchen lights and everything else). My other two lights are still configurable via the GUI Integration settings.

adaptive_lighting:
  - name: Kitchen Light
    lights: light.kitchen
    min_brightness: 30
    max_brightness: 70
    min_color_temp: 3000
    max_color_temp: 4500

For the dimmer manual control: In automations I turn off the Adaptive Lighting Brightness when the dimmer is used and turn it back on when the lights are switched off (so it is ready for when they are next switched on by dimmer/phone or whatever).

alias: AL Brightness Control Off
description: ''
trigger:
  - device_id: f10cdd584e97d8197abc9c943245c401
    domain: hue
    platform: device
    type: remote_button_short_release
    subtype: dim_up
    type: remote_button_long_release
    subtype: dim_up
    type: remote_button_short_release
    subtype: dim_down
    type: remote_button_long_release
    subtype: dim_down
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: switch.adaptive_lighting_adapt_brightness_adaptive_lighting
        state: 'on'
action:
  - service: switch.turn_off
    target:
mode: single
alias: AL Brightnes Control On
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: light.dining_room
    to: 'off'
  - platform: state
    entity_id: light.living_room
    to: 'off'
condition:
  - condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        state: 'off'
action:
  - service: switch.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id:
        - switch.adaptive_lighting_adapt_brightness_adaptive_lighting
mode: single

Next steps will be to add a automations around the daytime brightness when sunrise and sunset and less than a working day. I’d like to keep the lights bright and blue during the working day even in winter.

1 Like

For me it’s only the living room lights, and it’s been an issue 6 of 7 nights this past week. Initial transition, general transition and interval are all default.

As I type this I’m thinking it seems to only happen after sunset. Every time I’ve turned the lights off during the day, they stay off. However when turning the lights off at night to go to bed, they turn back on within a minute or so. I’ve been having to turn them on/off 3 or 4 times to get them to stay off. It’s the exact issue I had with the Circadian Lighting integration.

Are your bulbs ZHA?
I did some extensive troubleshooting recently and posted an issue to HA core as well as detailed my findings on adaptive lighting at github…My bulbs are Sengled zigbee bulbs. And yes, it only happens at night. It seems that during the day there is little to no change in brightness, which follows what I am about to disclose…
I disabled Magic Areas and Adaptive Lighting and I was able to replicate the problem with just native HA and it only happened if using a transition AND the new brightness is different from the previous on brightness state.
Turn light off.
Turn on 50%, transition 20
Turn off
Turn off and light stays off.

BUT

Turn off
Turn on 70%, transition 20
Turn off and light comes back on at the end of the transition time.

BUT, not all 5 of my bulbs do it. Some do, some don’t and they seem to take turns as to who’s up to bat next!
I’m thinking the bulbs are sometimes reporting their final ON brightness back to HA even after they’ve been turned off??? and HA is interpreting that as “oh, you’re on?” and triggers an ON to the bulb? Or, they’ve reported their final ON state before they got there, then are turned off but HA gets the ON state message out of sequence and turns them back on??? I don’t know…just guessing. But something is definitely out of whack…

1 Like

Looks like you nailed it!

I have a question that is slightly off-topic… I like the whole take_over_control feature for when someone uses a non-HA interface to control a light (such as the physical dimmer) and I was wondering if this functionality is transferrable to other automations at all?

My use case:
I have a z-wave dimmer for my kitchen lights an automations to create 3 ‘modes’, off, on manual, and auto (motion controlled).
I’d like to leverage the take_over_control function to not only turn off Adaptive Lighting when the physical dimmer is adjusted, but also disable the ‘auto’ mode. As far as I know there is no event (other than the dimmer telling HA that it is now ‘on’) that is sent to HA such that I can automate this… but I’m guessing that the way Adaptive Lighting knows that it wasn’t HA, is how I can achieve it. How is this done?

Currently my work-around is to turn off the ‘auto mode’ automation whenever Adaptive Lighting is turned off, but that then means that I can’t have Adaptive Lighting when the light mode is straight ‘on’, (without motion control).

I was hoping this attribute of the switch.adaptive_lighting.xxx might prove useful to you but I do not currently have a setup with a manual dimmer switch. I tried from with HA but it did not change for me. Perhaps you can investigate…

I’m using this now…

If you care to venture over to the dark (Red) side, I’m here to assist…
Node-RED was daunting and thoroughly mind baffling at first (2 weeks ago) but I’m liking it now.
Much like my migration from HomeSeer to HA 9 months ago but a lot easier now for some reason…

1 Like

I am using adaptive lighting to control my lights. I am using multiple Philips Hue bulbs that are always at 100% brightness, and a Lidl (Livarno Lux) Zigbee RGD led strip behind my TV that is at 1% brightness for normal white colors.

As the lights I use have different brightness, I’m using two instances of adaptive lighting. The first controls Philips Hue with 100% brightness and the second controls the led strip with 1% brightness.

Every time the led strip changes colors, it briefly turns the brightness up before it goes back to 1%. I could say that it “pulses” light every time adaptive lighting changes it.

What can I do to make sure that the led strip does not pulse light every time?

My bulbs are zwave. I’ve never even heard of Magic Areas so I can say for sure it’s not that. I’m also not controlling brightness with AL, just color temp. I would think if sunset is around 7:30pm, when I’m turning the lights off at 11pm to go to bed, there shouldn’t be a new color temp change sent because it should have already been at it’s lowest temp for hours.

I suspect a color adjustment (with transition?) is also vulnerable to what we are seeing.
Also, I believe your warmest color is not reached until solar midnight?

I discovered an anomaly while configuring my NR routines for motion, night mode and sleep mode…
I was calling light.turn_off with transition: 2 for my light.bedroom_lights which is a group defined in ZHA. Both bulbs would transition to off but only lamp_1 changed state to off in HA when it actually turned off at the end of the transition while lamp_2 still showed as on in HA even though it too had physically turned off. Because the HA state is still on, AL or any other circadian routine will then adjust the bulb on its next cycle and voila, the light turns back on.
If I target an array of both lamp entities in the one light.turn_off call with transition, they both show off immediately in HA.
I tested this with just a button on my lovelace Lights view calling service `light.toggle, light.bedroom_lights, transition:5’ while I watched the lamps and the state of the lamps in HA and it was consistent.
Are you targeting a group of lights?