New Add-on: Open ZWave Control Panel (OZWCP)

Home Assistant has its own basic ZWave configuration UI, but sometimes you just want OZWCP. I ran into this desire recently, and after getting sick of swapping my controller between my laptop and my Hass.io box, I built an OZWCP plugin for Hass.io.

The main caveat here is that OZWCP and Home Assistant’s ZWave support can’t both be running at the same time. The plugin will stop Home Assistant before starting OZWCP, but it’s up to you to stop OZWCP before starting Home Assistant again.

Repository is here:

Feedback and pull requests welcome!

3 Likes

This is great, thanks for putting it together!

I am running into an issue. Everything installed fine, but I am unable to start the addon (maybe I missed something or a prerequisite)

This is the log output:
/root/ozwcp.sh: line 12: xmlstarlet: command not found

1 Like

Sorry about that! That’s what I get for putting in one more feature before publishing.

I’ve just pushed version 1.0.1 with the fix; please refresh your Add-on Store and it should appear as an available update. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Works perfect, thanks!

Just curious, what can you do with this that HA can’t do with Z-Wave?

Some would say nothing, it’s just a different (and to some easier to use) interface.

One thing I’ve found that HA can’t do is configuring OpenZWave scenes (which I only recently learned are unfortunately not hardware scenes). I’ve also read elsewhere in the forum that there are some configuration elements for nodes that don’t show up in HA.

Seems to be starting (or at least it is shutting down the zwave integration in Hass.io, but going to the :8090 isn’t bringing up anything.

The logs don’t show anything. Not sure what to try at this point.

Hi,

Installation went smootless, but cannot get add-on to start:

18-04-24 21:05:50 INFO (SyncWorker_19) [hassio.docker.addon] Start build 13861ffc/armhf-addon-ozwcp:1.0.1
18-04-24 21:28:50 INFO (SyncWorker_19) [hassio.docker.addon] Build 13861ffc/armhf-addon-ozwcp:1.0.1 done
18-04-24 21:29:27 ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker] Can’t start addon_13861ffc_ozwcp: 404 Client Error: Not Found (“linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device “/dev/ttyACM0”: lstat /dev/ttyACM0: no such file or directory”)

Any idea what could be causing this ?

What’s the device name for your ZWave stick? (It’ll be in your configuration.yaml under zwave.)

It can definitely take a few seconds to start up. If it’s not up after about a minute, start Hass.io again and look for logs on the add-on’s page (same one where you clicked “start”; should be at the bottom). If there’s literally nothing there, maybe also check the “system tab” of the “Hass.io” section.

I didn’t change anything, but it decided to start working today.

@Rink76 I suspect your issue is because your Z-Wave stick shows up under a different name than mine did. I pushed a fix just now as v1.0.2 of the add-on; give a try and let me know if that does it for you!

@aviphysics, awesome. Gotta love software. :slight_smile: If it acts up again look for some logs as I described earlier and send them over. Thanks!

I am using an Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5. It shows up as /dev/ttyACM0

@jkeljo i did a rebuild and the version is still showing as 1.0.1 for me. Not sure if I need to remove and re-install to get it to update.

Now to figure out why my cooper RF9540 dimmer is showing up like this and Instant Status isn’t working.

I’m running a Raspberry Pi with GPIO Board

RaZberry Controller 2016 ZWave+

My configuration.yaml looks like this:

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyAMA0
network_key: “xx xx xx xx xx”
polling_interval: 3000
debug: false

Presumably, with the correct indentations?

I am running HASS.io 0.101 (HA version 0.67.1) on Ubuntu Server in a Virtual Box hosted by Windows 10.

My zwave configuration is similar, though I don’t have the network key in there.

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
  polling_interval: 10000

Hi Jonathan,

Thnx for version 1.0.2 ! I struggled a bit to update it, but meanwhile I’m running version 1.0.2 which seems to start fine ! Nice job :slight_smile:

@aviphysics, hit the refresh button in the add-on store tab to see the update.