New apcupsd Hass.io add-on

No, that’s the correct place. I think the Hass.io image only keeps docker logs in memory, and flushes them after some time, so it’s best to check them soon after encountering issues.

I will go ahead and create a separate add-on, maybe sometime next week.

1 Like

That would be great, thank you!

Do you have any pointers for me to figure out why I cannot get the USB version working either?

EDIT:
Okay, I am a dingus… I forgot to add the sensors as per this link.

Glad you got it working! I’ll add that to the README.

1 Like

Basic install process question:
What is the physical install’n order?
ie. Install add on
Plug in UPS usb data cable
reboot
tweak configuration files
Ie. Do you have a basic eli5 walkthrough?

There’s not much to it. Just plug your UPS into the raspberry pi, install the add-on, and start it.
(This is assuming you’re on a pi and have a recent APC UPS.)

Add an apcupsd section to your home assistant configuration:

apcupsd:
  host: a722577e-apcupsd

Then set up whatever sensors you want.

For anything advanced, check out the README.

Bingo.
The physical setup order.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Not sure how recent you mean, but it has a USB cable for its data port, so it should be good.

Yeah, you’re probably fine. Here’s the different supported types.

The add-on defaults to the usb type.

Hi there, got this setup and working flawlessly with my RP3 and Cyberpower Value2200 UPS.

I am just wondering if it’s possible to network this installation so I can use it as a master to then control my PC or NAS (as slaves)?

Thanks.

You can access the apcupsd server by <your hassio IP>:<add-on port>.

The default port is 3351. So for example, the hostname of my raspberry pi is hassio and I can see the server info by running on my laptop:

apcaccess -h hassio

So you just need to run apcupsd on whatever other devices you want, and point it back to this server.

1 Like

Got it up and running.
Thanks for your help.

…now to tackle zwave.

I got this running as charm reading pi UPS through USB (local host). is there anyway to add a second monitored (sensors) UPS with APCUPCd running on a second machine through network?

I found this http://www.apcupsd.com/manual/manual.html#multiple-ups-example, since I am not a linux user, I am totally lost on how to do this …

Hi!

Been trying to do that too, ended up setting up a python script that sends it through MQTT.

Wrote a quick guide here, if you are interested.

@korylprince Thanks for this! I just tried it out and it worked like a dream!

Having this is great because it gives me a way to see what the battery runtime would be on my model that does not have a display.

Have apcupsd setup and running nicely with sensors configured as I’d like.

Interested in now setting up some alerts etc in the event of the UPS coming online and while there is scope to do this within apcupsd using additional scripts etc there does not appear a way to integrate this cleanly direct into HA ?

Hi!

I set this up using a simple automation and facebook messenger, it I have two UPSes set up, but you get the idea, gmail works great for me to:

- alias: UPS Notifications OFFLINE
  initial_state: True
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.bi_ups_status
      to: 'ONBATT'
    - platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.ups_status
      to: 'ONBATT'
  action:
    - service: notify.xxx_home
      data:
        message: '{{now().strftime("%Y-%m-%d, %H:%M:%S")}} UPS Back ON BATTERY, Power Break'
        target:
          - !secret target_xxx

Total newbee … where o I place this script in Hass.io setup ?

Hi Haddood,

It is an automation, so it goes in your automation.yaml. You will have to setup a notify service first.

Hi, I’m getting this error under
https://192.168.88.252:8123/hassio/system

18-05-06 03:57:26 INFO (SyncWorker_13) [hassio.docker.interface] Clean korylprince/hassio-apcupsd-armhf docker application
18-05-06 03:58:00 ERROR (SyncWorker_13) [hassio.docker] Can’t start addon_a722577e_apcupsd: 404 Client Error: Not Found (“linux runtime spec devices: error gathering device information while adding custom device “/dev/usb/hiddev0”: lstat /dev/usb/hiddev0: no such file or directory”

Config: (I tried the default configuration too: Same error)

{
“name”: “APC-SMARTUPS-RC3000”,
“cable”: “ether”,
“type”: “pcnet”,
“device”: “192.168.88.250:apc:password”,
“extra”:
}

configuration.yaml

apcupsd:
host: a722577e-apcupsd

I’m using a raspberry Pi 3 w/ Hassio 0.68.1

I was using before Hasbian with apcupsd and it worked fantastic but my sd card got corrupted twice so that’s why I’m trying hassio now.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hello, all. I’m sorry I’ve not been around lately. The following is currently not supported with this addon:

• Network UPSes (See this issue for why)
    • When I get a chance, I’ll release a second add-on that doesn’t require a USB device attached
  • Multiple UPSes
    • This will require quite a bit of changes to the startup script to support. This is tracked here

I will post here once I’m able to solve these issues.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the add-on @korylprince was very useful, I appreciate your work