New Aqara Human Presence Sensor FP1

This info helped me troubleshoot in order to find a good position for my FP1 to avoid ceiling fan interference. Amazingly the only spot that works is when pointing the Aqara logo straight down at the floor when it’s positioned on my fireplace mantle piece.

However as the pics above show, this is far from ideal as this position certainly won’t pass the wife acceptance factor.

I am using Deconz with conbee stick, so unless I’m missing something I seem to not even have the sensitivity option that ZHA users have or the events that Z2M users have. Are there any Deconz users out there that have any tips for using this device? Ideally I’d like to reduce the sensitivity and play with detection zones.

The update need to be done to the coordinator. I didn’t see anywhere anything about FP1 getting new firmware update. I asked Aqara for that some time ago but they didn’t send me any response.

:smiley: You think so? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What you could also try is something that someone already mentioned somewhere: put metal shields on sides you’d like to FP1 make blind to. This should narrow the view field so you could place it in a more discrete place.

Using one of these in the bedroom and it’s amazing, It detects presence in under 1 second and not_detected in around 5-10 seconds. no false positives so I have stopped using the motion detector for lights and only use this and it works perfectly. The position is the secret with these things.

1 Like

This is still not working for me. Has anyone been able to get the FP1 properly working with HA and deCONZ?

UPDATE: It is not yet fully implemented in HA (https://github.com/Kane610/deconz/pull/298#issuecomment-1224779861)

Mine is working great with Deconz and a conbee II.

1 Like

Yep this did work for me to a limited degree, however due to the lack of sensitivity options or detection zones its still very difficult when dealing with ceiling fans or ACs. Any slight movement of a bed sheet, curtain or anything else loose will keep the room active.

I’m hoping eventually we can define zones of detection, as that would be the best solution. No idea how that would work though.

Sensitivity won’t help you here. I tested all three options and didn’t see any difference.
The only real solution would be to have those “dead” zones implemented. Looking at official app and manual I guess we would have to have a way to define squares that FP1 should take into account when deciding presence state. The best would be to have a visual grid where we could select those squares. But having a way to define manually grid size and then put coordinates for “dead” squares would be enough.

1 Like

Still no luck in pairing this FP1 with z2m.
I think I’ll just give up and I’m on notification list for that great combined sensor that “Everything Smart Home” will be releasing soon. Combined mmWave + PIR + temperature/humidity + bluetooth tracker in one single device : I'm Making My Own Smart Home Motion Sensor!? - YouTube

Oh, it’s awesome he’s doing this for everyone to buy. :slight_smile: Do remember though that his tests showed that DIY version had some false positives. That’s why FP1 is slower - it takes this time “to make sure” it’s not some small one-hit thing.

I purchased a few mmWave sensors to compare before purchasing before installing in my new home. I also have an FP1 as well, but that I am not able to get access for a couple of months (it is on the slow boat from Europe to Asia).

What info would people like me to review?

They are a mixture of Zigbee based sensors, also MMwave frequencies. As you can see I am going for Ceiling mounted.

3 Likes

This will be interesting. I have looked at the tuya ceiling recessed detector for quite some time. But haven’t pressed the “buy now” button yet.

1 Like

Hi, I was able to quickly install 2 FP1 and connect them to Z2M.
As I had some good experience with them, I tried to get another 2 installed. Pairing was easy but I don’t get any reading. I’m now thinking of buying a Xiaomi hub to connect them and integrate with Home Assistant. Probably I’ll offload some of the aqara devices at the same time, as I have now about 170 devices and this might create some problems… Thoughts ?

Not sure if this will help, but I have two of these, one on firmware 35 and a newer one on firmware 36 - the 35 sensor just went ‘unavailable’ after a few hours (ZHA and Sonoff Dongle Plus) and since I changed it over for the 36 ALL my issues went away - the response times are much faster and it stays online/available. Previously I had a ConbeeII/Z2M combo, and that config was complete overkill for my purposes, so after some thought I went the ZHA route with a Sonoff dongle as the development of ZHA is in the hands of HA and not a 3rd party. Has ANYONE figured out a way to update the firmware on these devices as I suspect a lot of issues could be resolved by an update?

Looking at the z2m log, it seems the FP1 is indeed successfully paired to your z2m just that it leaves the network as if the FP1 reset itself (acts like pressing the button for reset). I think it could be the FP1 hardware issue. You can try to observe the LED at the FP1 right after pairing and see if it blinks few times after the successfully pairing. If it is, then most likely it is the FP1 hardware issue. Maybe the reset button got stuck and causing the device to reset.

What do you mean by not getting any reading? I’m using the FP1 with z2m and they works fine. Make sure your coordinator is up to date and so as the z2m. There is specific coordinator firmware requirement for the FP1 to work.

I have 2 FP1 that work perfectly but the latest 2 don’t.
With reading I mean I don’t see any values related to presence, temperature, etc

I have a question, I’m trying to detect a baby with the fp1 and it’s not working for me…
Any ideas?

What firmware versions do you have on the FP1’s? Version 35 (first one I bought) have issues, it is now in the back of a drawer. The second one with version 36 works 100% as expected. As soon as I can figure out how to update the firmware on the device itself, my old one can be ‘fixed’.