New automation not loading (random switching of lights when away / on holiday)

I have several automations in my automations.yaml file, which all work fine. I have added an automation to switch on some lights in a small random window of time before sunset, and switch them off during a larger random window of time later in the evening, hoping this will fool possible criminals while I am away on holiday.
I have reloaded automations, I have rebooted, but the new automation does not load (is not at all visible in the frontend, not at configuration>automations, not at developer tools tools>states, all other automations are visible. I searched the web, this forum and more and do not know anymore. Your help is much appreciated.
The automation:

- id: '00007'
  alias: holiday lights
  trigger:
    - platform: sun
      event: sunset
      offset: '-00:30:00'
    - platform: time
      at: '23:50:00'
  condition:
    condition: state
    entity_id: input_select.home_or_away
    state: 'holiday'
  action:
    delay:
      minutes: "{% if trigger.platform == 'sun' %}{{ (range(1, 25)|random|int) }}{% else %}0{{ (range(1, 120)|random|int) }}{% endif %}"
    service_template: >
      {% if trigger.platform == 'sun' %}
        homeassistant.turn_on
      {% else %}
        homeassistant.turn_off
      {% endif %}
    entity_id: group.holiday_lights

Do a configuration check before you restart. This will point out errors like not having list hypens next to each action “-”

action:
  - delay:
      minutes: "{% if trigger.platform == 'sun' %}{{ (range(1, 25)|random|int) }}{% else %}0{{ (range(1, 120)|random|int) }}{% endif %}"
  - service_template: >
        homeassistant.turn_on
      {% else %}
        homeassistant.turn_off
      {% endif %}

Also, that’s neat way of doing it!

Thanks for the help. I did use ‘configuration check’ but that gave no errors. When I add the hyphens like you suggested, ‘configuration check’ gives this error:
Error loading /config/configuration.yaml: while scanning for the next token
found character ‘%’ that cannot start any token
in “/config/automations.yaml”, line 93, column 8
Line 93 is the line with {% if trigger.platform == ‘sun’ %}.
BTW, your advise is spot on: as a relative HA newbie, I think I know now when to indent, but when to use a hyphen is stil a kind of mistery to me (it seems there is a lot of variation in online examples?).

Did you mean to put that 0 in the else case of your template?

{{ (range(1, 25)|random|int) }}
{% else %}
  0{{ (range(1, 120)|random|int) }}
{% endif %}

No, that was a lost ‘0’, from a previous version of the automation. I solved the ‘check configuration’ error by also adding an hyphen before entity_id: group.holiday_lights, and with an extra indent step for the if … endif block, which I forgot. So the ‘check configuration’ error is gone, but the automation still does not load …

That does not sound right. Past the code as you have it now.

This is what I have now:

trigger:
      at: '23:50:00'
  condition:
  action:
    - delay:
        minutes: "{% if trigger.platform == 'sun' %}{{ (range(1, 25)|random|int) }}{% else %}{{ (range(1, 120)|random|int) }}{% endif %}"
    - service_template: >
          homeassistant.turn_on
        {% else %}
          homeassistant.turn_off
        {% endif %}
    - entity_id: group.holiday_lights

alot of that is redundant.

The ()'s aren’t needed because the filters are only applied to the range() function.

The int isn’t needed because range(1, x) will return ints.

{{ range(1, 25) | random }}

Also, if you want to make that single line alittle tighter, you can use an ‘inline’ if statement.

This:

{% if test %}
  {{ valuea }}
{% else %}
  {{ valueb }}
{% endif %}

can be transformed into this:

{{ valuea if test else valueb }}

And the beauty of an inline if statement like that is you can put it inside functions. Which will take your templates to short and concise solution:

action:
- delay:
    minutes: "{{ range(1, 25 if trigger.platform == 'sun' else 120) | random }}"
- service_template: "homeassistant.turn_{{ 'on' if trigger.platform == 'sun' else 'off' }}"
2 Likes

Thanx! I can see the automation now. First I removed the () and int from the range function, but that did not seem to help, then I copied your final suggestion with all the compacted code (I did not know you can do that to code!), and now I can see the automation. Let’s see if this works this evening!

Came here to say the same thing. It’s a clever workaround for the inability of templating the offset option.

Also came here to streamline the template but Petro already took care of that (plus I didn’t think of using the inline if within the range function; I had intended to use a variable).

Thanx to you too, Tom!

1 Like

After you tested and confirmed it works, be sure to mark the post with the Solution tag. This will automatically place a check-mark next to the topic’s title which signals to others that this topic has an accepted solution. It will also place a link beneath your first post that leads to the Solution post. All of this helps other users find answers to similar questions.

… and done!

1 Like

Yesterday I confirmed the automation loaded and was visible in HA, last evening it all worked perfectly as expected. Here is the final version of the automation, for reference purposes:

trigger:
      at: '23:55:00'
  condition:
  action:
    - delay:
        minutes: "{{ range(1, 25 if trigger.platform == 'sun' else 120) | random }}"
    - service_template: "homeassistant.turn_{{ 'on' if trigger.platform == 'sun' else 'off' }}"

Glad it’s sorted, and thanks for posting the final version to help others looking for similar code.

The actual reason your last attempt didn’t work was the errant hyphen at the beginning of the last line, which @petro quietly fixed in the new code.