New Button entity no input_button?

Hi everyone,

I was very excited about the new button entity which came with 2021.12 release.
Unfortunately (as I understand from: Button - Home Assistant ) it looks like there it is nothing like an “input_button” class, but only a platform that needs to be supported by a specific integration. Is that correct or is the documentation at the moment only missing the corresponding part?

I am having a lot of automations that are triggerd by an input_boolean, but the first task of the automation is to “reset” the input_boolean to “FALSE” … so they are already acting exactly the same as an “input_button” would do.

If the input_boolean is the only trigger of your automation then you should better create a script instead of an automation
The script has can executed direct from Lovelace

Thanks for your reply, but thats only true if I trigger from lovelace :wink:

Voice Commands via HA Cloud & Alexa e.g. allow only to enable / disable scripts.
For this the “workaround” of input_boolean is required.

This might sound like an odd suggestion, but here me out.

If you want to trigger a sequence of events from a voice assistant, have you looked at Template Light?

Don’t get tripped up by the name. The docs themselves use non-light examples.

You can call them from a VA and they can behave like an automation.

I even use them to replace a lot of scenes.

Thanks for this suggestion…
Seems a lot of effort to be truth and I think I will stay at my current solution.

Maybe at some point it will be possible to create “input_buttons” as I expected this to be :slight_smile:

Ok - have created a new feature request for it: