(New/Changed) Entity IDs - drive me crazy!

Hello!

I have a question regarding the “Entity IDs”, because they are starting to drive me crazy :wink:

The following problem… when switching to another ZigBee stick, the previous devices were listed, but no connection could be established. The only option was to put each device into pairing mode again and have HA detect it.
However, this created new entity IDs. With a fatal consequence… all automations in which the “old devices” were selected, do not work anymore. Absolute chaos!

In the user/people interface, I can select a track device, so that you do not have to change the automations, if there is a new device or an additional should be added.

Is there something like that for Devices/Entity IDs? So that you can assign a name to a device and then assign an entity ID to it?

It can’t be that you always have to change all automations when you change Entity IDs. That is total madness!

I hope it is understandable what I wanted to explain!? ;-))

Thanks in advance for any tips and help!

Take care!

1 Like

You can change entity IDs associated with a given device under the device or entity itself in the configuration panel. After you associate a new ZigBee device - just go in and make sure it’s entity ID matches the OLD entity ID - Everything else in HA keys on the entity ID so once you update the device to use the old ID everything should just work.

This fixture has a Sengled bulb - when I add it Z2MQTT usually brings it in with an entity ID something like ‘light.rgb_01234.’ The name doesn’t really matter - becasue I IMMEDIATELY rename it to light.hurricane_lamp and I’ve done it all 6 times ive replaced this particular bulb.

If you are using the device in your automations thenbthere us nothing you can do but change each automation with the new device id.

But if you use entity id’s you can change the new entity ids to match the old ones and you won’t need to touch the automations.

1 Like

First of all, thank you very much for your answers and tips!

However, it does not change the fact that such changes require a lot of manual work. :frowning: Especially if you use a lot of automation rules.
It would simply be much more comfortable if you could assign the entity IDs to a (device) name that you use in the automations via a UI.

Im not quite sure about the zigbee devices, but they “as” wifi devices have an “internal” name, it will always “report” ( some you can change this in the device, but very few ) … so after each reset(of device), or in Your case new change of “Handler” ( Could have been your router ) you will get this “symptom” Device will report it’s “internal” name.( in a router you will get most likely get a new ip from dhcp(unless child device is registered under its MAC-address “only” )
And i assume your devices were “registered” in(under) your previous “Handler” Zigbee stick ( but automatically discovered by the new stick ) and therefore registered “as child” object under the new “zigbee” device which has a new ID ( New object ), but under “normal” circumstances this should remain “static” after that, unless you “reset/replace” 1 of the devices, and your “handler/ha” sees it as new.

So don’t let it drive you crazy, but “remove” the “double/annoying” work where you can … ( in router/devices that can run static-ip, always use that, … for other wifi-device use reserve( bound to MAC and NAME ) if possible, if you change to new device/router, you won’t get around configure them again ( and as mentioned above, sometimes you get easy over it by renaming “entity”
I only experienced this (way of working) 2 times with Zigbees, after resetting my Handler( New Device) as the Handler was connected to Wifi, and before i new it, was “registered” in HA as “same” new device.
PS: My zigbee Temperature/Humidity Sensors ALL reports same “Name”, by device defaults (Temperature_) which i have to rename after reset( or if i change to other in same Zone )

Thank you for your comment!

Unfortunately, the handling of the entity IDs is a real pain. Especially when you change the ZigBee stick.

Also, unfortunately, you can’t split the automations into groups. If that were possible, then you would also get everything better organized.

2 Likes