New custom component: France weather alerts from Météo France

I’m working on getting France weather alerts in home-assistant.
Last days we had a lot of issue in my area with thunderstorm, flood and landslides. So I’m really motivated to accelerate this projects.

I’m writting here to have some feedback. Are you intterrested? Are you using other weather sources?
According to your answers I will do a “Quick&Dirty” implementation or make it mature enough to be shared with the community.

For information I’ve already developped the python API: Vigilancemeteo on Github
And I working on implementing it as a Sensor.

Edit: the PR is merged in 0.95 release and the feature is available to all of HA users in meteo_france integration.

2 Likes

Results of the first sprint for implementation.

Next sprint:

• Add forecast update date and time
  • Add URL for geting more information
  • Bulletin synthesis converted to HTML format.
1 Like

Hello !

I’m working on a Meteo-france component
It was released on the last version with multiple sensor for monitored conditions (temperature, rain forecast, etc)
I also submitted a PR for the weather card which is awaiting approval

I think the alerts could be a great addition.
This could be added as a new monitored_conditions and would use the postal_code configuration to guess the department

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve seen your component and was planing to reach you. You was faster than me :wink:
It’s a good idea. But I wondering if we should no use other existing component (compare to ‘weather’) as it’s seems to not be standard to include weather alerts in the other ‘weather’ platforms.

I’m thinking about geo-location component.
Let me 1 or 2 weeks as I have very few time spend on home-assistant. And we can discuss on the best way to integrate with your platform.

Hi everybody !

Thank you for your work, it arrives at a good time with the end of free api of Wunderground !!

I’ve got 2 request for you :

• Where can I find the complet list of human-readable text summary of the current conditions ?
  • Do you plan to add the forecasted weather to this component ?

Thank you really for your work !!!

Hi,
This looks good and I’ll give it a try.
It is a shame that humidity was not included.
I am using weather data to calculate moisture in the air and control my mechanical ventilation ( vmc) to pullin air dry air to my holiday home.
I have not yet implemented it as I am not yet confident on the external humidity data.

Hello, I would love to use your sensor for it’s french human-readable text summary but unfortunately my foreign city is not available. Could it be possible to add a european city with it own postal code delivered by météo france (ex: previsions-meteo-monde/londres/03772) 03772 for london.
It would be a great feature for French People living abroad.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a PR in progress which haven’t received review for a long time now.
It includes the ability to add sensors for any cities covered by meteo-france and the weather component.

I was quite busy and didn’t make much effort to get it approved but I will try to get back at it
I will keep this post updated

Thanks victorcerutti, can’t wait to use your sensors.

Updates on the project:
We agrees with @victorcerutti to integrate weather alerts in the meteo france component. We have worked together to integrate it. It’s now stable.
A PR is in progress

The PR has not been reviewed yet. If you want give a try you can install it as a custom component.

To do that, first copy this folder in your custom_components folder and then add the following configuration

meteo_france_custom:
  - city: !secret city
    monitored_conditions:
        - rain_chance
        - freeze_chance
        - thunder_chance
        - snow_chance
        - weather
        - next_rain
        - wind_speed
        - temperature
        - uv
        - weather_alert

Don’t hesitate to share your feedbacks

PR merged. So will be available with meteo_france integration in next release (0.95)

I get a nice error at startup :

2019-06-26 15:53:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component meteo_france_custom
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 156, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/meteo_france_custom/__init__.py", line 116, in setup
    from vigilancemeteo import VigilanceMeteoFranceProxy, VigilanceMeteoError
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vigilancemeteo/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .vigilance_proxy import VigilanceMeteoFranceProxy, VigilanceMeteoError
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vigilancemeteo/vigilance_proxy.py", line 7, in <module>
    from lxml import etree
ImportError: libxslt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or director

It seems that a dependancy does not work with a fresh hassbian install.

Can you sahre more on your configuration? Is it an error with the custom component?
Can you try again with the 0.95 release?

This error was solved with a specific pip install.
It was with the custom component. I’ve to try with the 0.95 version.

Hello, I have exactly the same problem with version 0.95.4 on Full new install HASSBIAN.

Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]: 2019-07-14 12:54:46 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component meteo_france
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:   File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 156, in _async_setup_component
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:     component.setup, hass, processed_config)  # type: ignore
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:     result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:   File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/meteo_france/__init__.py", line 91, in setup
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:     from vigilancemeteo import VigilanceMeteoFranceProxy, \
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:   File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vigilancemeteo/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:     from .vigilance_proxy import VigilanceMeteoFranceProxy, VigilanceMeteoError
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:   File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.7/site-packages/vigilancemeteo/vigilance_proxy.py", line 7, in <module>
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]:     from lxml import etree
Jul 14 12:54:46 hassbian hass[31747]: ImportError: libxslt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My configuration:

meteo_france:
  - city: 'TAVERNY'
    monitored_conditions:
        - rain_chance
        - freeze_chance
        - thunder_chance
        - snow_chance
        - weather
        - next_rain
        - wind_speed
        - temperature
        - uv
        - weather_alert

Can you teach me?

Strange, it seems some python library are missing in your install.
Can you try the workaround inthis post

Thanks, it’s works.

sudo apt-get install libxslt-dev

it seems not working anymore :

2019-07-24 10:34:48 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [homeassistant.components.meteo_france] HTTPConnectionPool(host='www.vigimeteo.com', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /PREV/V/ (Caused by ConnectTimeoutError(<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x65fcde50>, 'Connection to www.vigimeteo.com timed out. (connect timeout=10)'))

It seems more related to a ponctual server issue. I still receive the weather alert currently.
Can you confirm it still the case
Is there other user with the same error message ?