New custom component: Sonoff LAN Mode (local, with stock firmware)

I understand you and it is natural to defend something we are happy with. It’s all about the experience and mastery of the platform.

What are your experiences with ESPhome?

I’ve just set up my first two devices, using ESP8266s, and it’s been pretty painless.

My eWeLink devices are all down agfain, RFBridge not working, one of the Sonoff switches neither, just one Smart Plug is working from time to time but only from the app and not Home Assistant

Update: Everything seems to be back up again - eWeLink posted on TWITTER that all servers are back up.

I am ordering a flash interface as I am typing this to flash either Tasmota or ESPHome - to never have to rely on any stupid severs more. Thanks for your help guys.

After a specific update of ESPHome I had Wifi connection issues with a NodeMCU esp8266. Turned out people had issues with WiFi for way longer as evidenced by the Github issue on the problem. Basically no resolution and no support. Whereas any Tasmnota issues always had a prompt solution and great support.
I did have a good experience with an ESP32 though with a small screen but for switches and the like Tasmota is much easier and trouble free.

1 Like

I support David’s opinion regarding Tasmota. In my experience Tasmota has good support both by the author and the community. Any issue can be resolved quickly. It has great user documentation, though for a developer it is a bit short.
Tasmota well integrates into popular Home Automation systems like Home Assistant, unfortunately its auto discovery for HA has recently been deprecated. This was my favourite feature. I still prefer MQTT as a common interface for all devices and use Tasmota Lite with custom drivers to support all my hardware.

When the said they were doing that is when I started using the HA Tasmota integration which effectively does the exact same thing.

Where do they sell a flash interface?

You can use any FT233 UART USB interface, those only cost a few bucks. I’ve flashed all my devices to Tasmota and it works great!

Hi Guys, have you found a way to get SONOFF in LAN mode working when HA is a different VLAN?

eg. sonoff is in IoT vlan 111 and HA is in home vlan 100. There is layer 3 communication allowed between HA and Sonoff VLANs.

It works if I`m on the same VLAN.

Wonder if that is something to do with mDNS?

Is it due to HA tries to find it by its MAC and the mac does not go further its local network, thus does not propagate to other VLANs?

I think I got it sorted. Used Avahi on pf sense and allowed multicast on the firewall.