đź”· New fully automatic dashboard

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share something i’ve been working on and maybe get some feedback on what i can improve.

I’ve been using HA for a while with HomeKit but have had problems with syncing delay and just the many limitations of HomeKit with icons etc.

HA has many features but can take a long time to setup a dashboard and having to use the dashboard editor or yaml editor but that can be quite annoying when having many entities or rooms.
I really like the design of HomeKit as it have a overview and then specific rooms.

Therefore, i’ve taken some inspiration from HomeKit and given it a level up.

One card. Everything auto generated.

To avoid having to do a bunch of yaml, i’ve made a custom card from scratch that fetches all entities, rooms etc. from HA and makes a complete setup without you having to do anything.

Everything you will see in the views are automatically generated. The only thing you have to do is create areas, set their icon and assign entities to the areas - just like HA is designed to - not do a bunch of yaml work.

Last words before showcase

Before showing the dashboard, i want to mention i haven’t published it yet as i’m still adding some stuff to it but i would very much like feedback and what you guys would like to be added and have of ideas. It will be soon tho.

I hope my post makes sense, it’s my first forum post and i’m still learning the formatting and how to make a good post.

Btw, my native language isn’t english but you probably already guessed that :wink:

Views

Home

The home view consists of:

• Signed in user
  • Other members
  • Domains
    • You can configure which to show to your liking.
    • When clicking on for example “Lights” it will show all lights that have a area/room assigned no matter their state.
  • Rooms
    • The rooms are also auto generated based on the areas you have in HA.
    • Temperature & humidity is automatically found based on the area. Yes, mulitple sensors are supported, you can select which to choose
    • When selecting a room it will show that specific room and it’s entities
    • The icons are set within the area in HA, not using yaml.
  • Chips
    • When clicking on a chip, it will show the specific entities in a popup that are in the active state for quick access to for example turn off light in different rooms or quickly change temperature.

Rooms

The rooms view pretty much explains itself.
When clicking on a entity (The whole square) it will toggle the state of the entity. If it’s for example climate, there is climate controls for quick access.
When clicking the 3 dots it will view the specific entity (popup) like normal HA.

Other features to be mentioned:

• Thinking/In progress
    • When clicking something that is cloud based it can take a small while, therefore the 3 dots will change to a rotating arrow (sync) to let you know it’s in progress of toggling the state.
  • Haptic feedback
    • Are you on a mobile device or ipad with vibration it will give a small haptic feedback when toggling th e state of a entity for you to let you know you clicked something.

8 Likes

Link? Come on.

It is work in progress…

This looks really useful for phone dashboards.

I’m always a bit nervous of “automatic” features, though, because you often end up having to reorganise your system to suit the dashboard. Is there some way of overriding it for individual entities?

For example, my HA areas are based on rooms, but floorplans are based on floors (three of them) and some areas (landings and staircases) appear in more than one floorplan. This has evolved over several years and makes perfect sense to me, but it might be tricky to reproduce automatically.

When do we get to have a go? :grinning:

Would be keen to try this out. Feels like it would cover most use cases for other family members and then they can make custom dashboards if they want something specific.

Things I like:

• Automatically generating rooms with their entities
  • Showing current user is a nice touch

Not sure what I don’t like, from the images and description it all looks good!
I guess the domains at the top will be not very useful specifically for me with a lot of lights and switches across a household of 7

Please, let me know when you do publish it!

I hope my post makes sense, it’s my first forum post and i’m still learning the formatting and how to make a good post.

Btw, my native language isn’t english but you probably already guessed that :wink:

This is a fantastic first post, and I would not have picked that english is not your first language. Kudos!

I was starting to do some research into making exactly this!
I’ve been using the Mushroom add-on to make mobile dashboards, but I have to maintain 4 different HA instances so this becomes tedious, especially since I don’t always get updated when new devices are added. Having this automated has been an idea I’ve had for quite a while now, and your screenshots are more or less exactly what I have had in my mind.

Looking forward to seeing it complete!

1 Like

Any updates?

This is super cool. Hope it’s coming along well!

Based on OPs post history, it looks like he switched to this, I doubt you’ll see updates here.

1 Like