New Home project

New Home Project – comfort for the family.

Feel free to comment any changes or suggestions, note that in every room will be a google mini to assist in executions and in the living room is a google nest hub where i cast my floorplans to.

In this project the following products are used:
home assistant installed on a raspberry pi, door sensor from xiaomi (multiple), shelly plus 1 (multiple), shelly dimmer 2 (multiple), shelly button (multiple), shelly 2.5, shelly flood, shelly plus 1PM (multiple), shelly motion, Xiaomi sensor for humidity and temperature, Somfy IO Smoke detectors, Somfy Tahoma Switch, Somfy IO Shutters

1. toilet light with a shelly plus 1
    when turned on it will automatically turn off after 5 minutes.

2. a. Hallway light with a shelly plus 1
    when the door is opened after sunset and before sunrise the light will automatically turn on (in combination with the shelly door sensor).
    b. Somfy IO smoke detector
    will trigger evacuation scene:

• Open shutters on first and second floor
  • turn on lights in all hallways
  • turn on lights in all bedrooms
  • turn off all other electric devices
  • send messages to all phones
  • trigger IT backup plans.
  1. Dining table light with shelly dimmer 2
    connected to light plan:
    will turn on (70%) 30 minutes before sunset and go out on set time or by the button described by number 9.b

2. Kitchen light with shelly 2.5
    connected to light plan:
    will turn on 30 minutes before sunset and go out on set time or by the button described by number 9.b

3. Two table lights connected to power supply with a shelly plus 1
    connected to light plan:
    will turn on 30 minutes before sunset and go out on set time or by the button described by number 9.b

4. Patio light with shelly plus 1
    when the patio door is opened after sunset the light will turn on.

5. a. Dressior light with a shelly plus 1
    connected to light plan:
    will turn on (25%) 30 minutes before sunset and go out on set time or by the button described by number 9.b
    controllable with a scene from home assistant (romantic, bright, disco, movie)
    b. Fireplace (Dimplex Cassette led 2.0 eco opty-mist) with shelly plus 1
    controllable with a scene from home assistant (romantic, cold winter night) or by the button described by number 9.c

6. Outdoor lights with shelly plus 1
    connected to light plan:
    will turn on with sunset and go out on set time or by the button described by number 9.d

7. a. Light in the closet with shelly plus 1
    will automatically turn off after 3 minutes if not turned off
    b. shelly button 1 (labeled indoor lights)
    will turn on or off all the living room / kitchen lights when pressed
    c. shelly button 1 (labeled fireplace)
    will turn on or off the Fireplace
    d. Shelly button 1 (labeled outdoor lights)
    will turn on or off the outdoor lights

8. a. Shelly plus 1 attached to home assistant power
    can be used to restart home assistant remotely when It becomes unresponsive
    b. Ubiquiti camera
    triggered to send a picture when door opens when not at home using the door sensor and a automation in home assistant

9. a. Hallway light with a shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed

1. Bedroom light with a shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed

2. Bedroom light with a shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed

3. Bedroom light with a shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed

4. Shutters with Somfy IO
    controllable with automations or on schedule when on holiday

1. a. Hallway light with a shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed
  1. Office Light with shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed

2. Bedroom light with shelly plus 1
    controllable if needed

3. a. Washing machine with shelly plus 1pm
    when finished washing a message will be send to phone based on power usage with automation in home assistant
    b. Dryer with shelly plus 1pm
    when finished washing a message will be send to phone based on power usage with automation in home assistant
    c. Shelly flood underneath washing machine
    will send a message in case of flood and turn off power to washing machine and dryer with automation in home assistant
    d. Washroom lights with shelly plus 1 and shelly motion
    when motion is detected lights will turn on, after 2 minutes no motion detected it will turn off

4. Shutters with Somfy IO
    controllable with automations or on schedule when on holiday

5. a. 3d printer connected to power with shelly plus 1pm
    to remotely turn on the 3Dprinter / lights / octopi
    b. Xiaomi temp sensor in 3D printer enclosure
    when temperature is rising above first threshold send message to phone.
    when temperature is rising above second threshold turn off power with the shelly plus 1pm
    c. Shelly motion under desk (restricted)
    when motion detected turn on desk light during preset times
    d. Shelly button 1 (labeled master)
    turn off all lights in the house
    e. Shelly button 1 (labeled goto sleep)
    close all the shutters
    f. Shelly button 1 (labeled panic)
    send distress messages to all phones, turn on lights on escape route, open shutters on all floors, turn off al electric devices not needed for exit.

Our new house will be finished March 2022, we hope you like the setup.
suggestions are welcome…
intergration of other home devices like televisions etc. is not included yet.

1 Like

Hi,
I saw that you will be using zigbee (for the xiaomi sensors at least). Have you checked the Aquara motion sensor (RTCGQ11LM)?. Response time is almost zero, long lasting battery and they include illuminance sensor which is VERY helpful for using in automations.
You are controlling some lights based on motion sensors and sunrise/sunset but what if it’s 11:00 AM but shutters are closed.
Also, I tried the Shelly Door sensor (first version) and response time was really bad, sometimes even 4-5 seconds. I think they have improved it by firmware updates and new version works better, but check it out. I was very disappointed.

1 Like

Enrique,

thank you for your reply, in my current house i have the door and motion sensors from aqara and am really pleased with them. in the new setup i tried to keep it to one brand. (but not throwing away the old stuff ;))
maybe the motion sensor is better placed not under the desk but on it with a value based on light presence in the room.

Nice project, well done! You’re going to have a lot of fun integrating and setting up. Just one suggestion simply because I use it every day and can’t imagine how I’d do without it… Shelly i3. For example if you’re on the top floor and forgot to do something on the ground or second floor, the press of a button on your wall in the bedroom or office can send a command to another Shelly device downstairs. A light left on for example or in the morning as you leave the bedroom flipping a momentary switch can start up the coffee machine or kettle. The possibilities are endless and I’d have one on each floor. Upgrade a simple switch box on the wall to a 3 or 4 gang switch and include a Shelly i3 in the switch box.

As a matter of interest what’s WiFi mesh are you using to integrate your devices?

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion.
i think i can use the shelly i3 to replace the shelly buttons with this solution.
or use them for a preconfigured routine with the shutters:
first shelly i3
button 1 > all down
button 2 > first floor down
button 3 > second floor down
second shelly i3
button 1 > all up
button 2 > first floor up
button 3 > second floor up

i think i can work this out and make a nice panel for it.

for the wifi setup im using ubiquity wifi 6 ap’s one on each floor. the 6 pro versions are out of stock at this moment so i will start with the 6 lite versions if that is not sufficient i will do an upgrade to the 6 pro’s.
for coverage three 6 lite are sufficient to cover the whole house. outdoor coverage not needed (yet) but that will be provided by an outdoor AP because the indoor ap’s will be blocked by the triple glass and shutters.

Loving your work and forethought. I wouldn’t “replace” the Shelly buttons as they come in very handy as mobile devices around the home. I have 5 of them, one at each master bedroom bedside controlling lighting (Shelly vintage), one living area, one braai room (barbecue room) and one solely for pumps & irrigation (pool, borehole, irrigation pumps & solenoids). I can toggle their functionality on my Home Assistant dashboard (Galaxy Tablet A7 centrally located in the home) to be able to change what each button responds to. You can see my project Creekside (last project submitted) in the Shelly contest for inspiration :slight_smile: Good move on the WiFi! I went with Google Nest WiFi Mesh but only because of availability in my country. Once again, well done and you’ve got my vote.

1 Like