New integration for Power Pet Door

Did you upgrade to version 0.2.0 yet? It does not use the .yaml stuff, and will ask on upgrade whether or not it should auto-hold.

As far as I can can tell, there is no way to edit the hold option after it is set on upgrade…

1 Like

Hmm, told ya was probably my fault…

I installed 2.0 but completely missed the fact that it wasn’t yaml anymore. Deleting all of that and actually following the directions made all the difference! :flushed: It works perfectly.

Thanks for the fast response and solution!

Terry

1 Like

I’m working on fixing the change-config-after-upgrade issue :wink:

1 Like

I would personally like to see a “retry reconnecting forever on comm failure” option, since I’ve had to reboot HA again twice in the last few hours… :wink:

Not sure if a recent HA upgrade broke this but recently my pet door statuses all went to “Unavailable”. The IP address still the same (it’s reserved), and a restart of HA didn’t correct it. I’m not sure exactly when it happened but I first noticed it this past weekend.

I removed the integration, restarted HA, re-added the integration, restarted HA but everything still shows as Unavailable. Any ideas?

FWIW the mobile app for the door still works fine so I believe the door and it’s communication are ok.

Terry

Mine has been so unreliable that I have disabled the integration for now. Our door is in a sketchy wifi coverage area, and the current version does not seem to be able to recover from lots of missed/dropped packets.

I am in the process of installing another wifi access point at that end of our house, since the new wifi washer/dryer located near the door can’t even get a wifi signal…

I just turned the integration back on to check, and it does still work on the latest HA core-2022.3.4…

My Power Pet Door is currently offline (the cable that pulls the door up got munged - to their credit, they are sending me a replacement cable free). Once it’s repaired and I can get the door back online I’ll check it out.
That is also why I have not updated the code to allow for updating the configuration install (an easy fix, but not one I had completed before my door failed).

Also - FYI - the door code itself has a problem. If you send more than one command, before it has responded to the previous command, it will not respond to the second command. This is an error in the door itself. And part of the changes I am doing going forward will be to reduce the amount of messages I send to the door (which wasn’t that many in the first place). Possibly also adding a message queue so that only one message can be outstanding at once, due to this bug in how they made the door.

1 Like

Here is some info from the error logs. Today I removed the integration entirely (from HACS) did a reboot of the server HA runs on and then re-added it. Also verified that the IP address of the server is still the same, and that I could reach the pet door IP address from the HA server (via ping and map port scan).

Here is the error from Configuration/Settings/Logs:

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: helpers/update_coordinator.py:128 
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 5:58:24 PM (4 occurrences) 
Last logged: 6:46:55 PM

Error adding entities for domain sensor with platform powerpetdoor
Error while setting up powerpetdoor platform for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 382, in async_add_entities
    await asyncio.gather(*tasks)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 614, in _async_add_entity
    await entity.add_to_platform_finish()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 800, in add_to_platform_finish
    await self.async_added_to_hass()
  File "/config/custom_components/powerpetdoor/sensor.py", line 83, in async_added_to_hass
    await super().async_added_to_hass()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 319, in async_added_to_hass
    self.coordinator.async_add_listener(self._handle_coordinator_update)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 90, in async_add_listener
    self._schedule_refresh()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/update_coordinator.py", line 128, in _schedule_refresh
    utcnow().replace(microsecond=0) + self.update_interval,
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'datetime.datetime' and 'float'

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

Terry

I have discovered that running continuous pings of the door from 2-3 different hosts on the subnet are enough to make it drop more than 50% of the ping replies. While that may also be a symptom of my soft wifi coverage by the door, it could be a sign that the ESP8266 or whatever they used is either swamped or else running single-threaded code.

While we’re on the topic of door firmware, is anyone running the most recent firmware with this driver? My door has a firmware update pending, and I am hesitant to install it out of fear that it will close TCP/3000 or brick the door due to wifi drops during the update…

Where do you see the firmware version (other than the integration that isn’t working from me)?

Never mind, I found it. I have 1.7.18, I wonder if I had a recent upgrade and that broke my connectivity?

Edit: I forgot I had an old bit of Node Red that I was playing with a while back. It actually works fine and will open the door, just the integration that seems to have a problem connecting to the door. So that coupled with the errors in the HA log leads me to believe that something changed with an HA update that broke the integration…

Terry

My door’s firmware is version 1.5.0, and the door’s smartphone app prompts for a firmware upgrade whenever I use it…

I updated power pet door (now that I have mine online again). The major things are that I added flow control to get around the issue of the door not being able to handle more than one message ‘in flight’ at a time. I also fixed it so you can edit the config after installing the integration.

2 Likes

I noticed my options code is still not quite right. I will release a fix for it tomorrow.

1 Like

I had completely removed the previous version, including removing it from HASS. This morning I re connected your repository to HACS, restarted HA, and tried to add the integration. Everything looked normal during the add until I tried to press submit on the config page. I get a new page that simply reads “Aborted” with the only option to close the page and return to the integrations page.

Can you try a fresh install and verify it works? I e tried it on two HA install with the same results, one is my standard HA for the house that is Supervised on Debian, the other is HAOS on a HA blue pc. Both are latest versions of HA and both exhibit the same behavior.

Below is the config I’m trying and the resultant error. Again this is after adding your repository to HACS and restarting HA

Terry

I will check it out.

I just released 0.2.3 - it has no known issues that I know of. Feel free to report any issues you may find.

Correction - a minor issue with the sensor.power_pet_door having 'door_state: ’ which repeats all the settings … not a major issue and not worth releasing a new version over just yet.

1 Like

I will be monitoring to see if I still get messages unresponded to - and if I do, I will consider either allowing messages to not receive a response at all (meaning that only n failed PINGs would result in a disconnect) and/or retrying messages. Not sure about this yet, we will see how brittle the door is talking to the new version.

1 Like