New integration for Power Pet Door

I did my updates from 0.2.0 to 0.2.2 and then 0.2.3 via HACS. On both new versions, the config dialog throws a “Config flow could not be loaded: undefined” error if I try to edit it from the HA integrations page:

I just did a delete and re-install of the integration on 0.2.3. The config dialog during install worked fine. However, the above error is still there when trying to edit the config after install.

FYI, 0.2.2 ran all night (12+ hours) without locking up. That’s a record here, compared with 0.2.0 and earlier. I’m confident enough in the fix that I’m going to put the backup battery back into my door, which was removed so that I could easily power-cycle the door if it was not responding…

Ugh - updated to 0.2.4 to fix the options flow again. Darn it :wink:

1 Like

I’m happy with just the communications fix! I only checked the configuration editor out of curiosity, but wasn’t planning to make any changes…

I just did the 0.2.4 update via HACS, and the configuration edit dialog is working now. Thanks!

To test that the editor works, I just shortened the status ping interval from 30 seconds to 10 seconds. (It is now updating every 10 seconds, as expected.) My door seems to get swamped when three computers run ping commands to the door all at once, and I’m just curious to see if it locks up with 10 second pings from HA and no other pings from anywhere else…

It’s a known issue that the power pet door can only talk to one device at a time.
Which means, that while the power pet door plugin is connected to the door (which it stays connected so that it can get updates), anything else attempting to connect will be able to connect to the door, but will get no response from the door at all.

2 Likes

I just tried to install 0.2.4 and get the same error as before. I removed it from HACS and then removed the repository, made sure nothing existed in the custom_components directory, restarted HA, added the repository, installed into HACS, restarted HA, and tried the install from the integrations page. Exact same 'aborted" error. Giving up for now, maybe I’ll try again down the road but I have no clue where to go form here. Thanks for the help.

Terry

@roussell the only thing I can suggest is making sure nothing else is connected to your power pet door. As I said before, the power pet door will only respond to a single client at a time.

Meaning if something else is already connected to it (anything else), when you try and have the HA integration connect to it, it will fail to be able to do a simple ping/pong and will refuse to add the pet door to HA.

That said, it should give you an actual error, not ‘Aborted’.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @corporategoth. I considered what you wrote about other connections, and as a last effort, I changed the IP address of the dog door. Even though the only things connecting to the door were its cloud connection, Node Red, (which I had disabled, even shutdown NR), and your integration, I figured it was worth a try. Well, of course that worked! I was able to install and configure the integration with no problem whatsoever.

It’s interesting because I had pulled the power and battery on the door multiple times though all the troubleshooting, and I have even tried putting in a bogus IP address in your integration during the config (which DID generate a descriptive error indicating that the door couldn’t be reached). I have no clue whatsoever could have been holding a connection open to the door, but obviously changing its IP address broke that latent connection.

So lesson learned - change the IP address of the door if for some reason you can’t connect/configure the integration. Even if other connection-methods to the door are working.

Thanks again for your help, and the integration!

Terry

1 Like

As a slightly off-topic tip for those who don’t have the backup battery option, it is just a common AGM PS-1212 gel cell battery. Bend the terminals vertical with a pair of pliers, and they will slide right into the terminal slots inside the battery compartment…

We have had to replace ours twice over the years as they age, since gel cells are usually only good for about 3-4 years…

Was wondering if there was an update on this? I can’t seem to find it in HACS and was wondering if it had been removed? Thanks in advance!

Can’t speak for HACS, but the code is working here on HA v2022.8.0 for me.

Did you add the Github repository link from the first post into HACS???

Ah yes my bad, had to refresh my cache. I was wonder how everyone here used it in automations? For example I am currently trying to set it up so when my dog hits a button the door opens, but I’m not seeing that availability in Home Assistant. Alternatively I could just use a switchbot button pusher to hit the button on the pet door but was wondering what else has been accomplished here.

The pet door does show up as a button (switch.power_pet_door) - which you can use in automations or whatever to open/close the door.

You can also use the powerpetdoor.open, powerpetdoor.close or powerpetdoor.close services to do the same thing (which allows you to choose whether open will hold the door open or close again after the normal delay).

Right now, I’m just using the door state to trigger automation actions. When the door opens, it makes a voice announcement and will also turn on the back yard lights for five minutes after dark. When the door closes, it makes a voice announcement of that. If the knucklehead stands there sniffing through the open door for more than 60 seconds (or if the door freezes/jams not fully closed), it makes an announcement and also sends email alerts to my emergency pager so that I can fix it before the critters take up residence in our house.

The automation that I had originally intended to do was to turn off the inside sound sensor when my weather station detects rain or the lightning sensor detects an approaching storm. Our OCD psycho dog loves to go outside in the pouring rain and try to bite the lightning bolts, and I have yet to beat his knuckleheaded nose running to the door to turn it off whenever we/I hear thunder. I haven’t set this up yet, though…

1 Like

I got it working, just had to restart home assistant, works perfectly now with the dog button. The only question I have remaining is the door will not auto close via home assistant if its obstructed. Is there a way to have it auto close if its been open for X time?

1 Like

If there is an obstruction - the door is designed to not close - to stop it from crushing your dog.

1 Like

This same safety feature sometimes causes issues on cold days with our door, since the cold/ice causes just enough friction to make the closing door reverse itself thinking that there’s an obstruction. This is why I set up a “stuck open” alarm and pager alert, since it will sometimes cycle closing/open a dozen times or more before it succeeds on those days…

god damn, those arent cheap!

can it automatically open based on sense? I really only want it for the scheduled timer (so mice dont get in my house), when its sunny out he can go in and out as he pleases

The door comes with an ultrasonic transmitter for the dog’s collar, and opens/closes based on “hearing” that sound approaching the door from either side.

The reason why they DIDN’T use a simple RFID tag or pressure mat is because the ultrasonic microphones in the door can “hear” the doppler shift in the sound of the dog as he/she walks towards the door, ans will only open it if the dog is moving towards the door. If he/she falls asleep inside or outside right in front of the door, it will remain closed.

There’s a tip above about how to save $$$ on replacement batteries for the collar transmitter, and a few YouTube videos on the subject if you search there…