New integration for Power Pet Door

Been using this a couple days, it works absolutely amazingly. However usually after about half a day it just stops working. All I do is restart HA and it works perfectly thereafter, just wondering if anyone else has experienced similarly?

I had issues with mine dropping due to marginal wifi coverage, and remedied the problem by pulling some Cat-6 and installing a new wifi access point near it.

These are my current settings. Iā€™ve found that the ping setting is the biggest variable with spotty wifi:

Interesting, Iā€™ll give that a go, though wifi in that location is 500mbps+ there. Thank you for your help here!

Those of you that have this, do you recommend it for a pet door? Lots of negativity in reviews on Amazon and Chewy but maybe they just donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing.

Thanks!

1 Like

The only gripe that we have is their attempt at making the collar transmitter batteries proprietary as a $$$ source, which you can easily work around following several YouTube videos. I did replace a few micro switches in our first door after 10 years, and they were common electronics parts that are readily available. (We removed that still-working door to replace it with the smart version two years ago when it was released.)

Our 13-year-old OCD psycho dog has used it since he was a puppy, and really gets annoyed when his collar battery goes dead or he loses the transmitter and canā€™t let himself out. We have had a few friendsā€™ dogs stay over with us, and they catch on quickly once we put our spare collar transmitter on them and let them follow our dog in/out a few times. Our dog rates it as five bones, and cannot live without itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m having an issue where I can not add the door from the integration page. I get a ā€œCould not connect to remote hostā€ error

Home Assistant 2022.11.2
pet door firmware 1.7.18
door connects in power pet app
Iā€™ve tried:
changing the IP address
restarting HA
restarting the door

Any suggestions?

Can you ping the doorā€™s IP address successfully???

I can. Additionally, the door (by mistake really) is on the same subnet as the haserver so there is no firewall between.

was having some other issues so decided to nuke my install and start over. my issue was resolved as a result.

Iā€™m having the same error. Iā€™m running HA inside a docker on a Synology device in network bridge mode. The HA install works great for all kinds of items in my home, the HCAS install worked for PowerPet doorā€¦ but when I try to enter the (static) IP of my PPDoor I get this:

From the Syno box I can tcp to 3000 on 192.168.1.119 without a problem and I clearly get the PPDoor simple JSON reply.

I just did an update of the integration to 0.2.6, that could help.

However, one thing I should mention - Power Pet Door only allows ONE connection at a time.

That means if you have a telnet session, the app, or anything at all connecting to that port, nothing else CAN connect, and will fail. So if you had the app open when you tried to add it with this integration, it will fail. Because the power pet door will simply not respond to anyone else if the connection is already used.

1 Like

FYI, the latest update fixed my annoying problem where I had to manually reload the integration whenever HA rebooted. Thanks!!!

I have a question for any one who owns the wifi version of the power pet door. Iā€™m looking at purchasing one but I havenā€™t been able to get the company to answer my question. Iā€™d be installing in a door so Iā€™d be using the dual battery kit for full time battery power along with the HA integration. The documentation states that wifi turns off after 5 minutes when on battery, which would obviously make the wifi portion pretty useless. Can anyone confirm this is true or if that setting can be disabled to maintain wifi connection?

Update: my wifi pet door appears to stay connected as long as thereā€™s sufficient battery power to do so. There does not appear to be any five minute wifi timeout during my testing. With that said, Iā€™ve managed to get it connected to constant power, so its no longer a worry for me in any case.

I can confirm that the wifi still works even when the door is powered off by the power pushbutton when running on wall power, which I would expect since the app can turn the door off and on remotely. I have never tested while running from battery power though, and canā€™t at the moment because I borrowed our doorā€™s backup battery to cover for our alarm systemā€™s panel battery that failed over the weekendā€¦

UPDATE - the below information is no longer relevant or necessary as of v0.3.0. Kudos to @corporategoth for the update!

@corporategoth thank you for this integration! It works very well. Iā€™d like to make one suggestion if I could. It would be really nice to have the integration create a ā€œcoverā€ type entity as well for the door. This would allow easy open/close, state tracking, and icon changes via the built in Home Assistant device class. It would make dashboard control really nice. Currently you have to setup a template and call the open/close services on tap and update the icon via code. The cover device class would take care of all that on its own.

I have tried using a helper to change the switch type to cover. That partially works, as the new cover entity can control the door, but it does not update status correctly, not sure why. So I solved it by creating a template cover via yaml. Works just fine for me, but might be nice to include the cover entity in the integration for others. Basic cover template code included below. It should work as is for anyone that installed the integration without modification, just change the entity id to match yours.

cover:
  - platform: template
    covers:
      basement_power_dog_door:
        device_class: shutter
        friendly_name: "Basement Power Dog Door"
        value_template: "{{ states('switch.basement_dog_door') }}"
        open_cover:
          service: powerpetdoor.open
          entity_id: switch.basement_dog_door
        close_cover:
          service: powerpetdoor.close
          entity_id: switch.basement_dog_door
1 Like

Iā€™m only a user of this integration. @corporategoth is the developer of this awesome HA integrationā€¦

Iā€™m sorry, my mistake. Iā€™ve corrected the tag.

1 Like

Just wanted to ensure that the credit for this integration goes to the person who made it happenā€¦

1 Like

Hi Terry,

your integration for the PowerPet Door at NodeRed looks interesting! Can you share your flow for this please?

Thanks and best regards
Udo

Unfortunately Iā€™m still stuck :frowning:

Iā€™ve worked around my problem. My (still) stuck install is a Docker image of HA where I had to manually install HCAS and Power Pet Door. I just created a VM and launched a separate instance of the VMWare image of HAOS, did the normal install of HCAS, and was able to point-and-click install Power Pet Door. This new install instantly configured and works as intended! ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

1 Like