New ip issue after moving and geting at&t fiber

Just moved homes and had at&t fiber installed with this new service at&t requires you use their modem/router for service. I want to keep my old router and hass.io setup to keep all my configurations. This is creating a problem however as hooking my old router up to the new one causes the dhcp of the old router to assign a new segment to it. In other works my old ip segment for my old router was 192.168.1 where as now it is 10.0.0. Since my local ip for my hassio setup was 192.168.1 it seems as though my hassio can no longer resolve its ip address and I can’t use it. Does anyone know how I can resolve this?

The easiest solution would be to configure your new router’s DHCP server to issue 192.168.1.x addresses. This assumes you have admin access to the new router.

If you dont have admin access to the new router, hook up your PC and hassio server to the old router. Don’t hook the old router up to anything else. This should give you access from your PC to hassio. You can then reconfigure hassio for connection to the new router’s address range.

Hey Tom thanks for the advice. I contacted at&t to try and resolve this and get their router DHCP server to issue 192.168.1.x 3 technicians later and no one seems to be able to do it (one even told me it outside their area of expertise). Do you have any advice on how to accomplish this. If not on their router side can you walk me through on how to reconfigure hassio to point to the other subnet.

Ask them setup router/modem in bridge mode(I think that’s term they use). Basically it turns off ruter and pass through WAN traffic direct to your router.

Why not connect the old router’s WAN port to the new router and use the old router for your intranet?

1 Like

The idea from @tmjpugh is a good one. Though if their technicians can’t configure a simple DHCP server I have little hope they could put the router in bridged mode. Worth asking for anyway.

Did you actually set up a static IP address for hassio when you set it up by editing the resinOS /system-connections/ files?

Many time call center has step by step guide on how to do this

Hey all thanks again for the suggestions. So after a ton of research looks at though the modem/router they provide can not be put into bridge mode but allows pass through but even that has not helped. So last night I just surrendered and did a new install of hassio and copied over my config files etc and was able to get the system up and running finally. However a new issue has come up stemming from the same base problem. Duckdns… So my home assistant new ip is 10.0.0.x I can access home assistant through that ip but when I try to set up duckdns it keeps reverting my ip to 99.38.7.x which is being passed by the at&t router. Problem is I can access home assistant though that ip so I can’t get duckdns working. Just one problem after another here.

Do you now have 2 routers?
Maybe need to understand your network setup better.

What ports forwarded at what touter and such.

Just to clarify, duckDNS using LAN IP from ATT router/modem?

yes two routers the nighthawk running off the at&t. And yes I need to better understand mysetup myself at this point lol getting very confusing. I am not home at the moment so will have get some more info tonight when I get home. Thanks!

It may depend on the type of Router ATT supplied you with, but see if you,
can get web page access to in to it at 192.168.1.254 from the LAN side.
You may also be able to configure the ATT Router’s LAN to a different address/subnet say 192.168.0.1/24
and specify the range of addresses for DHCP off of the LAN. If there is a “configure” tab or menu
once you try to get to it, you may get prompted for a password and this
password is written on the side of the ATT router.
If this works, make sure the Nighthawk WAN port is configured for
192.168.0.x (x outside DHCP address range)

Also, if you succeed with the above,
if have the ATT router in passthrough mode, you should probably disable it. This allows
your public IP address to get passed through to your Nighthawk.

This is not a problem. It is how dynamic DNS services work.

10.0.0.x is your local address inside the the router’s firewall protection. This is not accessible from outside your local network.
99.38.7.x is your dynamic public IP address that DuckDNS uses to forward to your router.

It works like this:

Something outside your local network wants to talk to something inside.
The outside device looks at your duckDNS domain. This address does not change.
The duckDNS sever knows what the public ip address (99.38.7.x) of your router is and forwards the request to it. (It keeps track of this IP address because it can change at the whim of your ISP.)
You have to have port forwarding set up in your router to pass this request from outside to inside your network.
As you don’t appear to have admin access to your router you are going to have trouble setting up this port forwarding.

thanks tom starting to understand here. So what do I need to port forward? In the past I always forwarded 192.168.1.x:8123 to 8123 Just confused on what needs to be forworded. I do have admin access and the ability to forward on both the night hawk and the at&t.

You need to forward incoming port 443 to 8123 for 10.0.0.x on the at&t router (where 10.0.0.x is the ip address of your HA server).

device -> yourdomain.duckdns.org -> 99.38.7.x:443 -> 10.0.0.x:8123

(the port forward part is the last ->)

Hey Tom thank you so much for your patience here I am quite the dumb dumb. So let me post all the info I can here and see if you can make sense of the spider web I have woven here lol.
at&t router:
IPv4 Address - 192.168.1.xxx
IP Passthrough Address: 99.38.7.xxx(to r7000 192.168.1.xx)
ha server connected to r7000: 10.0.0.x

Does any of that make sense lol?

Ok that’s even more complicated than I thought. I’m not sure you are going to be able to set a port forward rule to 10.0.0.x on the at&t router as it’s local range is 192.168.1.xxx.

This might work:

1. on the at&t router set a port forward rule: ip address 192.168.1.xxx (r7000 ip), external port 443, internal port 8237
  2. on the r7000 set a port forward rule ip address 10.0.0.x (HA ip), external port 8237, internal port 8123

Edit: though if it is truly pass through from the at&t router you may only need the following on the r7000:
ip address 10.0.0.x (HA ip), external port 443, internal port 8123

This assumes you are connecting the at&t router to the r7000 WAN port.

Someone with more networking knowledge than me may want to correct this.

It would be a lot simpler if we could just change the DHCP range of the at&t router. What model is it? Usually it’s just under Settings / LAN / DHCP / Configure Manually.

The model is the Aris BGW210. Interestingly enough I can now access home assistant via the pass through address on an outside network (99.38.7.xxx:8123) I can also connect with https://xxxx.duckdns.org:8123 but it is saying its unsecured. So I think we are getting close. When I get home tonight I will have to check what all ports I have forwarded (tried so many things last night can’t remember exactly where I left off).

It is very simple to change the dhcp range,

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Arris/BGW210-700_-_ATT/Subnets_and_DHCP.htm

Got ya what range should I set it to?

From your first post.

Set the at&t router device ipv4 address to 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is what your r7000 used to be set to) and the DHCP IPv4 range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.254. Really not sure why three at&t technicians could not work that out.

You can then take the router out of bridged mode, remove the r7000, forward the HA port on the at&t router (192.168.1.x, 443, 8123) and it should be as if nothing has changed from your old set up.