New ip issue after moving and geting at&t fiber

Got ya what range should I set it to?

From your first post.

Set the at&t router device ipv4 address to 192.168.1.1 (assuming that is what your r7000 used to be set to) and the DHCP IPv4 range to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.254. Really not sure why three at&t technicians could not work that out.

You can then take the router out of bridged mode, remove the r7000, forward the HA port on the at&t router (192.168.1.x, 443, 8123) and it should be as if nothing has changed from your old set up.

You have been awesome and this did work completely. However let me throw a wrench in the system here. So this set up removes the night hawk all together which does work but let’s say I wanted to still use the night hawk and what’s more use it for hass. The reason being I have a number of devices linked to it’s wireless network (several google homes) also I have a relatively expensive range extender that was made just for the night hawk. Any ideas what I can do? Trying to avoid having to use the at&t router at all if possible at least for my ha network. Problems arise when people want to cast to the google devices (if I put those on the at&t network where hass lives) but they are on the night hawk wifi because the at&t range is not good enough. I know I’m a pain in the butt here lol but basically I would like ideally to use only the night hawk and forget about the at&t.

If you just want to use the r7000 as a wireless access point connected to the at&t router you can do this:

However if you want to ditch the at&t router altogether, (keeping in mind I’m not familiar with it or at&t’s possible skulduggery)… if the ONT port (that your fibre gateway is plugged into) behaves as I think, then it should just be a matter of copying the “Broadband” settings from the at&t router to the r7000 router’s “Internet” settings and moving the fibre gateway cable from the at&t bgw210 ONT port to the r7000 WAN port.

Awesome got that set up and working. One last problem so when duckdns is set up to point to 192.168.1.xx everything works as expected. However duckdns keeps reverting after a time to 99.38.7.xxx and then every thing stops and I have to force the ip again.

I assume you mean the r7000 as the only router? Not that you are using it as a wifi access point.

DuckDNS should have the 99.38.7.xxx address. It is the public IP address of your router. The 192.168 address is a non-routable address for use in private networks only. It can not be used on the Internet, just in your local network.

Have a look at the r7000’s Advanced Tab. Make sure the Internet Port IP address matches your DuckDNS address. If it does, all is well. If it does not then your ISP may use CGNAT which could be a problem (you would have to request this be turned off).

The other thing to check with your ISP is to ask if they block any incoming ports. Particularly port 443.

I know the r7000 supports NAT loopback, I have this router, though it is flashed with ASUS firmware it did allow NAT loopback before I did this. So that’s not the problem.

Have you set the port forwarding rule in the r7000?
The external start and end port range is 443 and 433. The internal port range is 8123 and 8123. The internal IP address is the address of your HA server (192.186…). You can call the service whatever you want (e.g. Hassio).

Have you put this in your configuration.yaml file?:

http:
  base_url: https://your-domain.duckdns.org:8123
  ssl_certificate: /ssl/fullchain.pem
  ssl_key: /ssl/privkey.pem

Also make sure you set a strong password for HA. It’s a nasty Intrernet out there and opening this port exposes your HA server to it. Also turn off UPnP in the r7000 ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > UPnP.

To test: Turn your phone’s wifi off and see if you can reach your duckDNS address via your cellular data network.

Hey Tom no actually I am using the r7000 as just an access point now. So no ability to port forward there.

Ah ok. Everything else I wrote above applies to the at&t router then.

EDIT:

I know what your problem is. The BGW210 apparently does not have NAT loopback.

This means you will have to use hassio.local, or https://192.168.x.x:8123 inside your network (i.e. on wifi). However if you turn off your phone’s wifi and use your cellular data network you should be able to see home assistant at the duckDNS address.

Tom you are amazing and absolutely correct. With the duck dns pointing to 99.38.7.xxx I can access hass on my local network via 192.168.1.xx:8123 and then off the network I can access via the duckdns. Its a bit of a pain in the butt however it works and will work for me. Thanks!

No problem.

If you ever do swap out the BGW210 and only use the r7000 you will find that the duckDNS address will work everywhere (on your network and the outside internet). This is because the r7000 supports NAT loopback. Essentially the r7000 recognises the DuckDNS address as a local address and directs you straight to HA.

Details from my previous post on how to do this (not guaranteed to work, but it is likely it will):

Copy the “Broadband” settings from the at&t router to the r7000 router’s “Internet” settings and move the fibre gateway cable from the at&t bgw210 ONT port to the r7000 WAN port.

Please do take note of my warnings about passwords and UPnP above, no matter which router you use.

I think my situation is similar. I had to install a different router (and manufacture) so all my IP’s have changed. I found the IP to my raspberry Pi and I can see the home page. My problem is that I can’t access the configulator to update anything. Any help would be great.

Any idea why you can’t access it?

My guess would be the base IP you have set might be wrong, so the “Open WebUI” Link in the add-on page is wrong. This isnt hard to overcome though.

If your old ip was 192.168.1.80 and that was set as your base_ip then the link to the configurator is probably 192.168.1.80:3218, which is no longer valid.

If your new IP is 192.168.1.99, then just go to that IP and add :3218 to the end of it.

My router brand changed so did my IP
It was 192.168.0.xxx:8123
Now it’s 192.168.1.xxx:8123
I have now gained access to my configurator but I have to go through the Hass.io on the side panel. I have to do this each time to access it. Any ideas?

If I remove and reinstall the configurator would that work?
As long as I don’t loose my config yaml

Sorry to Necro-Post on this, but I am in this exact same boat. I’ve done almost everything I can think of to get around the BGW (I’m on a 320) not having NAT loopback. I get a certificate error when connecting locally through https:///192.168.x.x:8123. Obviously I can bypass but it presents issues in the companion app. Any thoughts?

I haven’t tried this, but here is a suggestion:

EDIT: Got it working! Apparently the router that I setup IP Passthrough with defaulted to using the DNS of the AT&T Router. Once I changed that to Google’s DNS, it worked perfectly. That said, I do wish I could use the integrated wireless router in the BGW320, but it is what it is.

Thanks. Unfortunately, AT&T doesn’t allow you to change the DNS settings of the router. I’m thinking that maybe I need to search some more to figure out how to set up the AT&T router as a passthrough to my ‘old’ router properly.

Yes, “passthrough” is what my setup is and behind it is my router that supports NAT/Firewall Loopback.

Hi @pirate_steve did you find a way to make it work in the bgw320 without another router. i wanted to know if you had any luck or investigated more.

No, I turned the wifi functionality off and have to use the secondary router for my wifi. Luckily I had it on hand. Once I got my settings right between the two, it’s worked as expected.

1 Like