New to hassio

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i have searched the forums and sadly not found any good help.
I am brand new to hass.io, I am running it on a brand new raspberry pi3 b+. I am running hassio the latest version.
Here is my question. (eglish is not my native language, so sorry for typos)
Lets say i want to configure my ring doorbell 2 to my hassio. The Home assistant page says
"add this to your configuration.yaml file:
ring:
username: YOUR_USERNAME
password: YOUR_PASSWORD
and then says to Finish its configuration by visiting the Ring binary sensor or Ring sensordocumentation.
On the binary sensor it refers to a python script, located here “https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/blob/master/homeassistant/components/binary_sensor/ring.py”

Ok so here is my problem. What to do with this script, where to put it ? to get this to work.
Sorry for probably a stupid question but i am a little lost here.
Kind regards
DigiNorse

No, that’s a link to the source code for that component. You don’t need to use or look at that.
Just follow the instructions in the documentation.

The binary sensor page says “Once you have enabled the Ring component, add the following to your configuration.yaml file:”. That’s the part you need to be reading.

So, to start off, to setup the platform, in configuration.yaml type in -

ring:
  username: YOUR_USERNAME
  password: YOUR_PASSWORD

Then, if you want a binary sensor from it, in configuration.yaml still:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: ring

It also mentions option monitored conditions, which would look like

binary_sensor:
    monitored_conditions:
    - ding
    - motion

If you want a sensor from it, in configuration.yaml:

sensor:

This sensor also has a list of monitored conditions, set up same as the ones from the binary_sensor.
There’s also the camera component, which is more of the same.

Try that out, and if you are still having issues let me know where in that process you’re getting stuck.

2 Likes

Ah man, thank you so much, you made me break the code to understanding it! :slight_smile:
Just bought my very first raspberry pi3b+ and playing around with it.
Do you know if i can change the code of the output or is this locked ?

If you look at the very right symbol it says 83%, do you know if i can edit the code so that when it drops below for example 2% the ring turns red, and above that it is green ?

Kind regards
DigiNorse

I do not know about that specifically, but if you show the entity itself i know you have dynamically change the icon for it with templating.
There are also a lot of much cooler display changes you can make (and may without having to touch code at all) in lovelace, so I would suggest giving that a shot, and the web based UI config for it.

1 Like

Yeah I have been playing around with gauges and that lets me change just that. But if you have other tips to make this look slick I am all open to suggestions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My only tip is to spend a few days reading through all of these, lol.
There are some great custom cards there.

In addition to those, I’m using the radar-forecast card and the Entity attributes card.

1 Like

Oh thank you man, that is an awsome link! Bookmarked and stored in favorites! Thanks again!