New User - Can't connect to HASSIO after updates

No idea where to proceed from here… I try to connect to my Home Assistant, and nothing works.

I just get

This site can’t be reached
hassio.local refused to connect.
Try:

On the monitor that the pi is connected to, it says

systemd-journald.service: Found left-over process 3150 (systemd-journal) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run, or service implementation deficiencies.
systemd-journald.service: Found left-over process 3154 (systemd-journal) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run, or service implementation deficiencies.
systemd-journald.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
systemd-journald.service: Main process exited, code=killed, systes=15/TERM
systemd-journald.service: State ‘stop-final-sigterm’ timed out. Killing.

Then a bunch of processes are killed. etc etc…

Start by telling how you installed HA.

I installed back in February using this method:

Ok, a HassOs install. Did you install the samba or ssh add-on ?

Is HassIO different from HassOs? That’s the first time I’ve heard of HassOs.

I’ll read:

I do remember seeing SSH in my installed modules. I believe I set that up as part of duckdns requirments.

The Hassio name is not used anymore. There were 2 ways of installing hassio : download a complete image from the home assistant webpage, as you did. Then you run hassio on hassos, and is now know as ‘Home Assistant’. The other way was called ‘hassio on generic linux install’, where you install hassio on the linux os of your choice. This is now know as ‘Home Assistant Supervised’.

So do I just need to start over from scratch?

Yes, I can ping the IP

Pinging 192.168.X.XX with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.X.XX: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.X.XX: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.X.XX: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=64
Reply from 192.168.X.XX: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.X.XX:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 7ms

Can you try accessing it in incognito mode on your browser, if not have a look here https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/commandline/ if you haven’t set anything up though you maybr better off, doing a fresh install.

Not necessary. Can be HA is still busy updating.

I cannot access from any browser, including incognito mode.

I did have it all set up with my hue bulbs, and was trying to get it to communicate with my smartthings z-wave network (unsuccessfully).

1 Like

Do you have a backup/snapshot, try accessing the system via SMB \192...*\ make sure you copy the configuration.yaml file if you can in the config directory.

I did the update yesterday…

Then we have a problem. You did not install the samba add-on, and are not sure if you installed the ssh add-on. So no way to reach the non-functioning HA installation. There is one thing (not very good, but that is all that is left), cut the power of the Pi and plug it back in.

1 Like

Also didn’t work. Looks like I’ll start over from scratch. Dang…

Three good tips :

• install the samba add-on and test it (see if you can connect)
  • install the ssh add-on ( and see if you can connect)
  • search the forum for the google drive backup add-on, and install that too.