New Zealand Geonet GeoJSON Feeds

Keen to integrate the New Zealand Geonet API with Home Assistant.

The two feeds i am looking at specifically are,

Volcanic Alert Level
https://api.geonet.org.nz/volcano/val

Quakes
https://api.geonet.org.nz/quake?MMI=4

I have had some success importing the data via the geo_json_events integration,

geo_location:
  - platform: geo_json_events
    url: https://api.geonet.org.nz/volcano/val
    radius: 250
    entity_namespace: 'Volcanic Alert Level'

- platform: geo_json_events
    url: https://api.geonet.org.nz//quake?MMI=4
    radius: 250
    entity_namespace: 'Earthquakes'

latitude, longitude, Source, external_id & unit_of_measurement, all show up in the UI

but none of the properties about each event are being pulled through. Not sure if a custom component needs to be created to read the specific JSON properties of the GeoNet Quake & Volcanic API or its a config error on my part.

@exxamalte i see you did a lot of work on the other GeoJSON integrations any chance you could lend a hand?

Cheers

The reason for this is that the geo_json_events platform is really just a generic GeoJSON integration and none of the additional properties are standardised.

A specific integration for each feed would be required to pull all the information in and present it in a meaningful way.

I have built a couple of Python libraries for GeoJSON/GeoRSS integrations, and it’s not really complicated to implement some more. I am currently in the process of migrating the existing GeoJSON libraries to an async model which will hopefully work better and faster with HA and will allow us to create config flows so that you can configure the integration from within the user interface.
I could maybe use GeoNet’s earthquake feed as a trial for this new approach.

Give me a bit of time, and hopefully you can live with the simple geo_json_events integration in the meantime.

I was just looking at this the other day and scratching my head. Timely posting. And hello fellow kiwi I presume :slight_smile:

Still work in progress, but here comes a sneak preview:

1 Like

Looking great! thanks for your work on this!

PR has been merged, should be released with 0.98:

1 Like

FYI - release 0.99 contains a new feature of the GeoNet NZ Quakes integration which adds a sensor that tells you about the current status of the integration, including last successful update, number of quakes tracked, etc.

EQ in ChCh today, first chance to check this out. Worked well (on 0.99 by the way)

1 Like

Hey I have an earthquake report (2 actually) that seem to have moved location. (can be seen on the history graph). Is this Geonet correcting the positioning once they get better data?

yea I think that is the case

1 Like

Either that or my house is moving…

(Shouldn’t joke about that in CHCH)

i always noted that they say once there was a quake that the estimated location and depth was this and that and then later they update the exact locations and depth

Yeah it usually takes a while to stabilise, I guess triangulation gets better as they get more data.

FAQ from the Geonet website:

Why do the magnitudes of posted earthquakes sometimes change?

Earthquakes are posted to the website as soon as data start to come in. They are now located automatically without being reviewed by a duty officer or analyst. The magnitude and precise position of the quake may change when more data become available or if they are reviewed by the duty officer or analyst.

The integration always uses the latest data from the feed to calculate the exact distance to your home.

FYI - release 0.103 contains the GeoNet NZ Volcanic Alert Level integration which adds a sensor for each volcanoe in the specified radius. The sensor’s value is the current alert level.
Please let me know if this is useful or if you feel that anything is missing.

I am not sure how I feel about the timing of this release, given recent events. :cry: It is not any fault on your part, just an unfortunate co-incidence.

Hearts going out to the victims and their families/loved ones of Whakaari/White Island.

1 Like

Here my Lovelace of this

cards:
  - entity: sensor.geonet_nz_quakes_39_029804_174_146778_2
    name: GeoNet NZ Quakes
    type: entity
  - geo_location_sources:
      - all
    type: map
  - card:
      show_header_toggle: false
      type: entities