(Newbie) Fresh installation - cannot install add-ons

(Newbie here)

Hey there,

I just installed a fresh HA environment on a Raspberry Pi 4, following the official guide.

At first I wanted to access the underlying Linux OS but when connecting a monitor and a keyboard to the Pi, I only have access to the Home Assistant CLI which I cannot exit.
So after some research it looks like I could do this remotely with the SSH & Web Terminal addon, but when I click on the button to install it, I get the following message

This redirect is not supported by your Home Assistant installation. It needs either the Home Assistant Operating System or Home Assistant Supervised installation method.

Since I took the official Raspberry Pi image, isn’t it Home Assistant Operating System? I don’t get it.

Thanks,
Ben

which installation method have you choosen on that linked guide?
As far as I can see, it provides installation steps for ALL methods (OS, Docker, Core, …)

If you go to your HomeAssistant frontend and then to the “About” page, you should get more information…
For HA OS it should look similar to this:

1 Like

Well, I just followed the Installation guide by clicking on “Raspberry Pi” here, which leads you to the Raspberry Pi installation manual, and then, when you reach Get the URL for your Raspberry Pi - you have only 1 choice.

Here’s what I get from the About page (looks exactly the same):

1. Go to Settings > Add-ons
  2. Click the Add-on Store button

Back to basics.

You have been here http://homeassistant.local:8123 and setup an account and the basics of HA, haven’t you?. If not it wont work.

Looks like the default raspberry pi installation is sort of locked for that kind of operations.
I formatted and installed Raspbian + HA Docker, and everything works now.

Thanks!
Ben

Hello again,

A few months later… I still get that silly message, which is very frustrating.
There is no (longer?) a setting → add-ons menu. Whenever I click on a repository link “add-on store”, I get that message:

This redirect is not supported by your Home Assistant installation. It needs either the Home Assistant Operating System or Home Assistant Supervised installation method.

This is particularly annoying. How am I supposed to proceed?
HA is running on an Rpi4 with Raspbian and Home Assistant Docker.

Thanks,
Ben

Install HA OS ? Be sure to make a backup first.

That’s what I did at the very first beginning, but I didn’t figure out how to access to the underlying Linux to add some other stuff alongside HA (esp. Caddy to expose HA through HTTPS) - so I switched to the Docker-based installation.

Looks like my only remaining option is the “Supervised HA” using the supervised installer, I will look into this.
Thanks!
Ben

There is a caddy add-on for HA OS

1 Like