Newbie help with Raspberry Pi 4

Hi,
I have been using HA on my Synology NAS for a while and wanted to move it off there, onto a RP 4.
Which I have now done.

Before I wrote to the SD Card the HA software, I could remotely access the RP4.
I then took the same SD Card, and wrote the HA Software to it, via the RP Imager. I assume this was the correct way to do this.!
Since then, HA works fine via the RP4 - but to access the RP itself, it says access refused port 22 error.
I did have SsH turned on when I first wrote to the SD Card.

I have tried connecting it to a monitor via HDMI, but that doesnt work either.

I am wondering if I am missing the point.
Once I have written HA to the RP4, does that mean it is literally just to run HA and that is it.? No other access or features etc.

There is no need to SSH HA for regular use, so by default it’s not listening on 22 or has SSH available.
Try an SSH add-on that supports remote access. I believe HACS holds one, if the default store doesn’t.

I guess you turned that on through raspi-config, right?
If so, HA is not affected by that setting.

That totally depends on what installation method you chose. :slight_smile:

With HA OS you have no access to the underlying operating system. The reason is, that you don’t need to. :slight_smile: The developer team is taking care of all necessary things, that are needed to give you a plug&play experience.

There are other installation methods, that do support access to the OS, but I wouldn’t advise to use these, if there is no apparent reason to do so.

My guess would be, on your Synology you had a “supervised” install running. There you can SSH into the OS.

See here for the installation methods:

When I started with HA, I always used a supervised install, “because I know what to do in Linux”. Turned out, HA OS is the way easier solution. Why should I take care of all the boring stuff, like updating Linux or installing newly needed packages. The hassle free version of this is HA OS. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Patrick nailed it.

I use the Advanced SSH & Web Terminal add-on. I agree it’s not strictly necessary. The HA OS package for the RPi is truly plug-and-play. I almost never give any thought to the operating system, much less do any tweaks to it.

I do use SSH to stop, update and restart HA. Sure, I could use the UI but I’m a command-line guy from way back, and this just meshes better with the flow of my update procedure.

2 Likes

Pssst, this is the advanced stuff, nobody should know about. :rofl:

I’m running HA OS on a proxmox install, and every time I open the CLI, I start thinking, why would I need that. And then I’m back in the UI pushing some buttons. :rofl: For my CLI addiction I can always update some PIs or ESPs. :rofl:

@EfasElec Just use HA OS and forget about SSH access. Chances are high you won’t miss it and can be happy with practically no DIY work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. My name is Tom and I’ve been a CLI addict for over 40 years.

I’m trying to do better, but I need the support of guys like Patrick to see me through these rough times.

(Apologies to those outside the US who might not “get” the reference. We have a thing called Alcoholics Anonymous and apparently the first thing you’re supposed to do is publicly admit you’re an alcoholic with an introductory line like the above.)

1 Like