Newbie here, Overwhelmed with useful/useless tech

Yeah, I am at luddite level at the moment. I found that eventually. Not having any luck adding things to my config file yet but will keep trying. Once the penny drops I will be off like a good un

As a baseline for ya:
Initial install and sit back to let things autoupdate and configure; 45 minutes.
Currently,
Hard reboot of PI from cold to HA running, 5 minutes.
Restart of HA on a running PI, 3 minutes.

This is an environment of a PI3B+ on a Sandisk 32GB SD card, 2 Wink hubs (one remote), a half dozen cameras, about 2 dozen sensors, 2 locks and 2 thermostats.

By hard reboot, do you mean pull the power?

I have just put an auto discover bit into the configuration file for my flux LED controllers, these are one thing that I got working quite easily on openhab. Re-started Hassio on the configuration page and nothing has changed.

I am running 2 x routers linked via a ethernet over power adaptor (i will be installing a cable between them at some point) with my ISP router doing the DNS (unfortunately not mDNS) bit and the second one essentially working as a switch.

The only thing that has auto added itself are my Chromecasts and my router.

Like I say I will keep trying, a lot to learn, I will get there. I am loving the look of this.

Yes, hard boot as in from a powered off PI. A warning in advance about your two routers. I have had nothing but headaches having devices on 2 different subnets. Yes, I know it can be done but I found it MUCH easier to keep as much as possible on one of them.

Okay, so I have successfully added a bravia TV after the system was unplugged and moved. So some success.

As for the router thing, technically I am only running 1 as a router and the other one as an access point. The ISP (Virgin) router seems like it could be a problem. I will switch which one is doing the routing and see how that goes (it doesn’t show my PC’s on my network even).

I don’t know if my SD card is legit, I will get a 64gb one from a reputable source, I have been stung by Ebay ones before.

My Hassio install is already throwing loads of errors, won’t restart, fails to discover my flux LED controllers, the code is right and just fails and the logbook hasn’t updated.

Like usual nothing is working for me properly and i’m sure it’s the SD card. I haven’t got far so starting from scratch isn’t such a big deal.

See you in 5 days, wish me luck.

Sometimes it’s faster
sudo docker restart homeassistant

You don’t need anywhere near that big of an sd card. 16gb should more than do it or maybe 32gb if you plan on recording everything into your history db and not purge it for a while. I ran a 16gb card for almost a year before I switched to a NUC and never had any problems.

1 Like

Cheers for that advice, saved me a few quid

So my SanDisk ultra came, and I have put my Virgin router into modern mode and am just running a TP Link router, I have had time to install HA on my new memory card, and it was up and running in under 10 minutes (including flashing the card).

I have a few days off next week, so my approach will be to get as many devices set up as possible. Then have a look at automation, and I have seen node red. Looks like the answer to me. Any feedback on that?

A lot of people really like. I’ve never used it. I’ve never needed it so far. I’ve been able to do everything I want using the HA automations.

Another recommendation if you use HA for your automations is to start learning to write automations by hand. You can use the automations editor but it’s kind of clunky and saves the automations in a strange way that is different than the way you will see 99% of automations written on the forum and in the docs. So if you have any problems with something not working as you expect it makes it more complicated to troubleshoot issues.

Thanks for the help 'yall, a few hours last night, a bit of head scratching and a learning curve, and my sony tv, smart life lights/sockets, chromecast’s and magic home lights are all up and running. Ironically the easiest to set up on openhab were the trickiest with HA (magic home, or flux LED in this case).

Now my imagination can run wild. Still lots to set up and Youtube to watch. Dr Zzz’s is quite entertaining. Soon I will have that “smart” home I have dreamed about since being a nipper, and mainly out of the cloud too.

1 Like

Here’s a question regarding groups and in particular views, the video’s I have watched show how to create them in the configuration.yaml file, I have opted for the groups.yaml file but and I have copied and edited the source from the groups page on the home assistant website. I aren’t getting any new tabs. My config checks OK.

I have managed to create a tab in a configure UI option in the hassio overview tab. Has this been changed to exclusively use this function?

There is your first problem. Nearly every video out there is already out of date.

The new interface is Lovelace. Just use the documentation to configure your system.

1 Like

Oh yeah, they aren’t that old either, I see this is a move towards a more intuitive graphical way of doing things. It’s looking good. I will have a play around with it.

Cheers