Newbie here: Zwave setup guidance?

I purchased a couple of these: http://besense-iot.com/#ix32. I installed one on my Smartthings hub, and connected the other to my RPi Hass.io installation (I have aeotec zstick)

I am just getting on learning curve, but is there any guidance anywhere in how to best setup this motion device to use to full potential? I see a few new devices that have popped up, but I’m not sure what next step is. Thanks in advance…

I don’t have the exact same one as you but mine is similar.

In your “states” page (where it displays your entities) you should see something that says whatever you named you device followed by “_alarm_level”. when your detector sees motion that should change from reading 0 to read 255.

if you have that then the following will allow you to create a binary sensor for easier use in automations.

in your binary_sensors section use:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    comp_rm_motion_template:
      friendly_name: "Computer Room Motion Template"
      device_class: motion
      value_template: "{{ states('sensor.computer_room_motion_alarm_level')|float > 254 }}"

obviously you’ll need to change your code to match your device id.

then you’ll get a new device id that says (in my case) “binary_sensor.comp_rm_motion_template” that will go from off to on when motion is detected. You can use that to display on your frontend or for use in automations.

as for the rest of the sensors that were created i never really found any use for them. but maybe i just haven’t thought very hard about it. :grinning:

Hi, i bought the same BeSense Zwave sensor you mentioned. I am running hassio on rpi3B+ with Aeotec ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5. The stick sees it as a node but it says “Initializing (Probe)” and named it “Unknown Node”. Were you able to get it to work?

This happened because I used an old Youtube video as the guide for adding the sensor instead of using the new method laid out here: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/adding/

Using the new approach, it was added properly and works just fine.