Newbie needs help! HA cannot reach beyond LAN

Is there a way to test where the connection is failing (between HA > LAN > Router > Modem > Internet)?

dig +trace www.google.com

Thanks, here you go…
I have also pinged the IP giving the comms error:

Try

docker start hassio_dns

Didn’t work in normal Terminal add-on:

But worked in Advanced add-on:

Checked status but still reporting unreachable.

ha dns info

And the dns logs?

ha dns logs

And you have nothing under servers.

How do I address this?

Looks like the dns container is failing. What hardware are you running on?

Here’s the exact spec:

Intel NUC:
GEEKOM Mini PC, MiniAir11 Mini Computer with 11th Gen N5095(Up to 2.9 GHz), 8GB Dual DDR4 256G SSD Windows 11 Pro Desktop Computer, Support 4K UHD, Dual WiFi, BT, HDMI, VESA for Office/Study/Home : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

ZigBee dongle:
SONOFF Universal Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus ZBDongle E Gateway with Antenna for Home Assistant, Open HAB etc, Support Data Flow Control : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Installation of HA:
Clean install flashed directly onto SSD using approach described here (from timestamp 0:14:00):

Most of what has been written here is way over my head.

However looking at my HA set up

IMG_1791

The dns is pointing at my router - the router sorts out talking to real name servers.

Worth a try?

Thanks, set it to 10.0.1.1 but still no joy :frowning:

the dig output shows 127.0.0.11 is unreachable.

Quick google tells me that address is the internal Docker address used for DNS by HA.

There’s something messed up with your HA installation - sorry no idea how to fix. I’d try a reinstall…

Good luck

Seem to be a few similar issue on the forum, e.g

Maybe a few more things to try, sorry I can’t help further.

Thanks, that is really helpful!
I don’t have too many devices or integrations established into HA yet, so I think a re-install is worth doing…

Glad you’ve taken the time to help so far thank you!
I tried the suggested “hack” but to no avail.

Couple of things…

If you do a backup you can restore it later so you don’t have to lose anything. See about the networking first though!

Have you tried
ha resolution info
to see if it finds anything

I’d maybe try a linux on a stick OS on your NUC - just to check if that can see the outside world - it would eliminate some weird fault with the hardware.

and finally…
ha dns reset
Does that change anything? Do your logs still show the memory error?

Let us know when you find a solution

OK, so just finished doing a full re-install…lo and behold all is good!!
Right from the go I am able to see the outside world and finally enable HA Cloud. No fettling of IP, DNS or port settings :sweat_smile:

Thanks @steve_jo, @aceindy, @nickrout and @francisp for your quick and helpful advice!

Hopefully, the help you’ve provided here may help someone else with a similar problem…

2 Likes