Newbie question about companion app and Home Assistant Remote

I am a brand new Home Assistant user. I have Home Assistant setup, and access from my local network (browser and companion app) are working fine.

What I can’t figure out is remote access through the companion app.

I have created an account on Nabu Casa, and I have enabled remote control in the Home Assistant Cloud settings.

When I turn off Wi-fi on my phone, I can successfully access my Home Assistant through the browser, using the “Connect” link from Nabu Casa. But the companion app doesn’t find it. I get a blank screen (nothing but the settings button in the lower-right corner). After about a minute, I get a red popup with the message “The request timed out. NSURLErrorDomain -1001.”

There must be a configuration step I have missed somewhere along the way. (Did I mention I’m a newbie?) Do I need to give the companion app my Nabu Casa credentials? How?

You might need to add the external url for your home assistant in configuration > app settings in the app.

I think this usually gets configured automatically when you start the app for the first time, but since it sounds like you didn’t have nabu casa then, you might have to add it manually.

1 Like

Thanks, I have found the setting! I needed to drill into Configuration > Companion App > Home > External URL, and turn on the Home Assistant Cloud toggle.
Hidden a little deep, but it worked.
Perhaps this should be more explicitly added to the docs…

Hii,

I’m having the same problem.
I don’t see any toggles to turn on or off in the companion app.

Any suggestions?