Newbie question about different installation methods

Okay, so I’m looking to move from Domoticz to HA, and I see there are 4 methods for the installation. Since I am new to the HA-game, I would like to go with supervised since that gives me a feeling that it will be easier to do. There are obviously 2 versions with the supervisor. The full-on HA operating system and the HA supervised-version.

I am temped to go with the supervised version since that will give me the possibility to use the Pi for a couple of other small tasks as well. I’m using it (next to Domoticz) for a VPN-server so I can access my home-network while I’m not home, and it also has 3 cron-jobs where it requests a specific URL on certain times of the day. Nothing fancy, but I understood that with the full-on HA operating system, such additional tasks cannot be done alongside the HA-installation.

The only thing holding me back from committing to this choise, is that the supervised-installation is listed under “experienced users”, which I am clearly not.

What are the extra difficulties I can expect that have caused this method to be classified as “for experienced users”?

if you go with HassOs, you have an operating system which will be kept up to date and secure via new versions and you don’t need to worry about libraries and packages.

if you go with supervised method, underlying OS is fully your responsibility, i took this risk but i don’t advice if you’re not an experienced in linux

Okay, but am I correct that it is not possible to run a VPS-server and a couple of cronjobs on HassOS? I would really dislike running an additional pi just for those things.

i heard that it even doesn’t have a pkg manager to install additional packages, but that is the idea right? if you can install something, it means you can screw it :slight_smile: check post below 2 year old but still good.

1 Like

yes, you are correct.

It sounds like you have at least some understanding of the Linux OS so use the HA Supervised version.

If it fails to meet your needs you can always do a snapshot of your HA install and transfer it to a HA OS install later.

1 Like

I currently use Debian Supervised install…(for the same reason you want to, few other random things running on it) I previously used Ubuntu in a VENV since (2017 or so) … when I started with HA i new about 4 linux commands just from my previous experience with OS X and a random Ubuntu install for fun back in the day… it just involved a lot of googling at first to learn what does what and now most of the stuff is in memory… if you have setup cron-jobs and a vpn you will do just fine… updating Debian is literally two commands (or 1 with the &&)

There are add-ons for HA that are VPN servers e.g. Wireguard.

What exactly are you doing with these cron jobs? Sounds to me like it could be done with a REST sensor within Home Assistant.

I’d advise against Supervised on Debian, unless you really need it.

The Wireguard-addon looks great! I am used to OpenVPN running on Raspbian, but I don’t think it will be more difficult.

I am requesting specific URLs on specific times of the day. They automate certain things on websites that don’t allow timed actions, but do have API’s. The URL’s are static, they don’t change, I currently just have them in a crontab, that’s it.

The REST-sensor I have to look into. It is a bit difficult for me to envision how it works because I have no experience yet with HA.

I am leaning towards Supervised on Debain though. Some other users have already mentioned that it is mainly apt-updating the system that has to be done, and that is something I am already used to with my current setup with Raspbian/Domoticz. I’ll have a bit more of a read though, and take your advice in consideration for sure! Because if it can all be done within HA, that sure looks like the easiest way for me!

Why?

I’ve been running it as a test alongside my production HA Container running on Debian 9 for months and it has never been an issue.

1 Like

Because why make your life difficult if you don’t need to? I explicitly said “unless you really need it”, so if you don’t need your machine for anything else, why not make your life easy and run Home Assistant OS?

I wouldn’t use you as a benchmark for newbies :wink: You’re one of the most experienced users here.

1 Like