Newbie questions about modifying config.yaml

Hi, this is my first post so please be gentle! Also let me know if i’ve posted in the wrong place.

I’m running Core2023.12.4 with Frontend20231208.2 on a windows PC and I have a few simple integrations running nicely and so far I’m pretty pleased with myself as I’ve virtually no programming skills.

I found an integration on github for my Renac solar inverter (which isn’t listed within HACS) which I imported using HACS custom repositories and the github URL and it now appears in HACS.

The readme file says:

Place the custom_components folder in your configuration directory

which I do (the folder name is renac);and

Add to your Home-Assistant config:

renac:
  username: <username>
  password: <password>
  equipment_serial: <inverter serial number>

which I also do, using quotes for each of the 3 values (and being mindful of the indents).

I have a couple of questions :

1. Is it a good idea to be adding lines to the config file like this, and
  2. What could I be missing/doing wrong/misunderstanding because when I restart HA the following error log is generated:

Log Details (ERROR)

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Home Assistant stuff\HassWP_2023.12.4\python-3.11.6.amd64\Lib\site-packages\homeassistant\helpers\entity_platform.py:419
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 22 January 2024 at 8:57:26 pm (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 22 January 2024 at 8:57:26 pm

Error while setting up renac platform for sensor

Traceback (most recent call last): File “C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Home Assistant stuff\HassWP_2023.12.4\python-3.11.6.amd64\Lib\site-packages\homeassistant\helpers\entity_platform.py”, line 361, in _async_setup_platform await asyncio.shield(task) File “C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Home Assistant stuff\HassWP_2023.12.4\python-3.11.6.amd64\Lib\concurrent\futures\thread.py”, line 58, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File “C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Home Assistant stuff\HassWP_2023.12.4\config\custom_components\renac\sensor.py”, line 57, in setup_platform emailSn = login(conf.get(CONF_USERNAME), conf.get(CONF_PASSWORD)) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File “C:\Users\Paul\Desktop\Home Assistant stuff\HassWP_2023.12.4\config\custom_components\renac\sensor.py”, line 85, in login _LOGGER.info(“Got email id :” + str(r.json()[‘email’])) ~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^ KeyError: ‘email’

Any help would be greatly appreciated especially as I can’t see any way to contact the repository owner on github.

Can you link to the Renac integration github page. I can’t find it.

wow - that was quick - thanks for taking the time to respond.

this is the page:
https://github.com/gastush/ha-renac/tree/main/custom_components/renac

The documentation doe not mention anything about supplying an email address. So you can open a new issue here:

Thank you - I will do that

Just in case anyone else is interested :
it seems that the problem was with the API URL which had been changed by Renac. The dev has issued an updated release which resolves this.
I have the integration fully up & running now.
Also it seems that it’s only been tested on 3-phase inverters - but would be interesting to know if it runs on single-phase as well.

1 Like