Newbie struggling with python script for ring

Hi all

I got my raspberry pi yesterday and installed hassio, so far I have my smart Life lights and enigma boxes working along with google home assistant.

I have enabled the ring component and it shows the last video on the HA Overview screen but I am trying to enable downloading the latest video. I am trying to follow the instructions at https://www.home-assistant.io/components/ring

I have created the folder /config/python_scripts on my PI and added the script shown in the above url into the new folder but I can’t figure out where I put the python_script: tag in the configuration.yaml file.

This is what I have:

No language indicated, so no syntax highlighting.
But let’s throw in a tag.

ring:
  username: MYUSERNAME
  password: MYPASSWORD

binary_sensor:
  - platform: ring

camera:

sensor:

downloader:
  download_dir: downloads

python_script:

to me the python_script tag should need the path/name of the script but I could be totally wrong so any help what I should put in there for the script to run I would appreciate. At the moment nothing is downloaded to downloads folder.

From the python_scripts docs.

Each Python file created in the <config>/python_scripts/ folder will be exposed as a service.

So you can call your script in an automation with:

service: python_script.your_script
3 Likes

Nope. HA will check the <config>/python_scripts folder and expose any scripts it finds as a service.

EDIT: too slow.

3 Likes

Ah that’s sorted it, thanks for the quick responses.