NFC reader?

I’ve got a bunch of NFC cards. I’d like to be able to launch home assistant actions by touching them to a reader. My 7 year old son doesn’t have a phone, so I’m seeing if anyone knows a good way of doing this or could point me in the right direction?

Check out this project: https://github.com/maddox/magic-cards

1 Like

@nickchamberlin Yeah, Magic Cards was MADE for what you’re trying to do. Definitely check it out. It’s a little involved to get going, but it’s fully documented and a fun project. Once it’s set up, it’s easy to add new cards to it. That was the goal of the project.

1 Like

i would be also interested in this. but I was wondering if I would need to buy a separate rpi for the nfc reader as my hass.io is already running on a rpi 3.

Can’t I just connect the nfc reader to the rpi running hass.io? or does it need to be used on a separate rpi?

interested in this too? but is there some kind of reader that can work standalone? so you can place it anywhere in your house? maybe with battery as a source?

You don’t need an extra reader - just use your phone. I can recommend three apps for NFCing: