NFC Tags , What projects you using them for ? Sharing ideas

Hi Guys
I see people are using these NFC tags, please can you share what you using them for and what automation’s you doing with them, Sharing some ideas for the NFC tags, Thanks

My wife complains about how often I come to bed late. I’m thinking about having an NFC tag on the bedside table, scan once I am with her, keep a log, show her the log if she complains.

16 Likes

I am going to use them with my smart lock. My (and many other) smart locks have a feature to automatically open when you arrive home but for me it’s unreliable and it takes time to load up the app (I don’t have a keypad on mine). So I am just going to slap a tag on my front door and issue solved.

4 Likes

I’m using one for this exact same thing

1 Like

Learn from my ‘mistakes’; when dealing with your wife reality is irrelevant.

8 Likes

I use it for access control. I put a reader out by my gate and gave everyone tags. Now we all badge in. When a tag is scanned, the gate opens, I take a picture of the person, I unlock the door, and disarm the alarm. I use helpers to disable each tag when needed, this limiting access. It’s a lot more fun then just giving someone the code to the alarm.

3 Likes

I’m planning to have NFC for guests, so they don’t have to deal with apps or devices.
They can then set scenes and other settings that are usually controlled by my companion app or voice commands.

1 Like

How will they scan the tags without the app?

1 Like

oh, I’m sorry. I thought this was also about the tag reader.

https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/09/15/home-assistant-tags/

In my opinion the Companion App is not really comfortable, because you have to unlock the phone first.
I’m in the process of getting the tag-reader to work wirelessly with a battery, but this might also require some concessions to usability.

1 Like

So will they walk around the house with the reader?

Did you read the linked page?

The reader and a bunch of cards will lie on a table, and to issue commands, they scan different cards.

The walking is optional :grin:

1 Like

Classic, good one

OK, I thought you were touting this as an alternative to the app. Definitely not the interface I would pick (you have to find the right card, things get lost, etc…)

I’m correct in saying these NFC ideas/projects (with the IOS comp App) do not work on Iphones ?

You are right, I wouldn’t use this day to day either.
But giving my guests the opportunity to use HA in a limited way (scenes, presence, etc.) without first creating a user, installing the app, etc. is a huge benefit.

My automations can now also incorporate their wishes.

1 Like

Use iOS shortcuts to call service. Works fine. DOES not require you to acknowledge but will fill up notifications.

I’m using NFC tags as remote control for my son (he is 3 years old). I’ve printed some of his favourite themes on the cards. They look like this:

So based on what he wants to watch on TV, he scans the NFC card to our phones or tablet and the appropriate video is playing on TV’s youtube.

It’s pretty cool!

I had to invent a way to pass the security popup on youtube’s app which I have posted here.

hope you like it!
We love it! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

How do you print these on the cards. Do you have a printer or something?

1 Like

I haven’t print the cards.
What you see is adhesive PVC which I printed at a Graphics Art house.

2 Likes

Same as other people here, I use it for my alarm only.

Using the HomeAssistant companion app, I set up two NFC tags. One inside my house, right next to the door and another one outside.

These stickers are very inconspicuous.

Once I leave I just tag the one inside my house:
-Turns of all media players, lights, fans, AC units, humidifiers/purifiers, TVs, etc.
-Arms the alarm, you’ve got 90 seconds before it gets into an armed state.

I’ve got another automation that relies in the alarm state. If armed (meaning nobody is home) the vacuum will run once daily, between 10am and 8pm only.
Also depending on the alarm state, and with conditional cards I get different dashboard that shows whatever devices are turned on and an overview of whatever comprises my alarm systems (all sensors, motion, door sensors, vibration, etc).

Also got another NFC tag outside, basically just disarms the alarm and turns on the hallway light by the main door if it’s dark (below X lux).

I’ve got automations to do this based on device trackers (whether I’m home or not) that do this when I’m not home or reach home, but as a failsafe since it doesn’t always get triggered due to random reasons.

Got also a few here and there for guest to join my guest WiFi, or grant them access to a locked down HA dashboard with basic controls of the devices in common areas.

They’re also handy for a good night routine, where it sets the alarm to a different mode so you get a notification in the bedroom only about intruders.

1 Like