NFC Tags , What projects you using them for ? Sharing ideas

Classic, good one

OK, I thought you were touting this as an alternative to the app. Definitely not the interface I would pick (you have to find the right card, things get lost, etc…)

I’m correct in saying these NFC ideas/projects (with the IOS comp App) do not work on Iphones ?

You are right, I wouldn’t use this day to day either.
But giving my guests the opportunity to use HA in a limited way (scenes, presence, etc.) without first creating a user, installing the app, etc. is a huge benefit.

My automations can now also incorporate their wishes.

1 Like

Use iOS shortcuts to call service. Works fine. DOES not require you to acknowledge but will fill up notifications.

I’m using NFC tags as remote control for my son (he is 3 years old). I’ve printed some of his favourite themes on the cards. They look like this:

So based on what he wants to watch on TV, he scans the NFC card to our phones or tablet and the appropriate video is playing on TV’s youtube.

It’s pretty cool!

I had to invent a way to pass the security popup on youtube’s app which I have posted here.

hope you like it!
We love it! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

How do you print these on the cards. Do you have a printer or something?

1 Like

I haven’t print the cards.
What you see is adhesive PVC which I printed at a Graphics Art house.

2 Likes

Same as other people here, I use it for my alarm only.

Using the HomeAssistant companion app, I set up two NFC tags. One inside my house, right next to the door and another one outside.

These stickers are very inconspicuous.

Once I leave I just tag the one inside my house:
-Turns of all media players, lights, fans, AC units, humidifiers/purifiers, TVs, etc.
-Arms the alarm, you’ve got 90 seconds before it gets into an armed state.

I’ve got another automation that relies in the alarm state. If armed (meaning nobody is home) the vacuum will run once daily, between 10am and 8pm only.
Also depending on the alarm state, and with conditional cards I get different dashboard that shows whatever devices are turned on and an overview of whatever comprises my alarm systems (all sensors, motion, door sensors, vibration, etc).

Also got another NFC tag outside, basically just disarms the alarm and turns on the hallway light by the main door if it’s dark (below X lux).

I’ve got automations to do this based on device trackers (whether I’m home or not) that do this when I’m not home or reach home, but as a failsafe since it doesn’t always get triggered due to random reasons.

Got also a few here and there for guest to join my guest WiFi, or grant them access to a locked down HA dashboard with basic controls of the devices in common areas.

They’re also handy for a good night routine, where it sets the alarm to a different mode so you get a notification in the bedroom only about intruders.

1 Like

I have bayesian sensors that detect when each of us are in bed, and also use history stat sensors to tell how long we’ve been in bed each day :grinning:

1 Like

Hey there, I have one to turn on the lights to feed the dogs and that’s it, I even have a nfc tag reader with a nodemcu working but bo ideas so far

An NFC tag is stuck to the back of the TV remote control. It switches on two sockets and thus the TV, the receiver and the floor lamp if it is dark outside.
In the cars, there are also some stuck to the sun visors to open the garage doors.
I can think of a lot more but my wife will soon go crazy :-))

1 Like

I’m new to home assistant and the NFC tags arrive in 2 days… but I plan to:

• have 3 tags on the washing machine for the 3 timeframes I typically use to (somehow) start an automation that broadcasts to the Sonos that the washing machine is done
  • have tags that when scanned add items to my shopping list
  • sends a message to the sonos to say dinner is ready through the house.

Basically try automate routines that are not already connected to HA

I have one inside my car. Scanning it toggles my garage door open or closed. By far the most useful NFC tag automation I’ve setup.

I made an automatic reminder for my allergic wife. She needs to take 1 pill every 24 hours so I made an automation that sends an unremovable notification to her phone that tells her to take the pill and it can be removed only by scanning an nfc tag on the pill box.

2 Likes

thats not bad idea since its easier to do that then take out the remote lol

I’ve setup a few so far which I’m fond of:

Washing Machine:
2 tags for each of the commonly used programmes, plus one to tell HA I’ve emptied the machine.

These tell HA to start a timer for the length of the programme and notifies me when a load is done, and can remind me if I haven’t emptied it, on my dash I have:

I also have ones for the oven, so I have a selection of NFC tags for different timers, which set the oven timer running, and toggle ‘oven is on’ - this then tells me when I need to check the oven and when done scan a tag to end timers and set oven off.

And as mentioned before, also great for medication reminders - I get nagged repeatedly until I scan the NFC on my meds to clear it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you feel like sharing the laundry automations you have made? I’m working on creating the same myself right now.

@ChaoticUnreal I haven’t got round to working out how to make it into a proper blueprint, but hopefully these screenshots will give some hints on how I do it.

Automation for when I scan NFC for a particular programme:

alias: "[Kitchen] Washing Machine Mixed Started"
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: tag
    tag_id: xxxxxx
condition: []
action:
  - service: timer.start
    data:
      duration: "2:05:0"
    target:
      entity_id: timer.laundry_time_remaining
  - service: input_boolean.turn_off
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: input_boolean.washing_machine_is_empty
  - service: counter.decrement
    target:
      entity_id: counter.remaining_laundry_pods
  - if:
      - condition: numeric_state
        entity_id: counter.remaining_laundry_pods
        below: 12
    then:
      - service: notify.alexa_media_kitchen
        data:
mode: single

Automation for when I scan the tag to say I’ve emptied the machine:

alias: "[Kitchen] Washing Machine Emptied"
trigger:
    tag_id: xyyyyyyy
action:
  - service: input_boolean.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id: input_boolean.washing_machine_is_empty
  - service: timer.finish
    target:
      entity_id: timer.laundry_time_remaining
    data:

Automation to tell me when the timer runs out and it should be finished:

alias: "[Kitchen/Reminder] Empty Washing Machine When Done"
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - timer.laundry_time_remaining
    attribute: duration
    to: "0"
action:
  - service: notify.alexa_media_office_dot
    data:

(Note, I know many use things like vibration sensors, or power-monitoring plugs [likely not a good idea for high-watt devices like a washing machine imo] to detect when it’s done instead of using a timer, but I don’t see a need to be that precise with this)

Automation for tapping to start tumbledryer:

alias: "[Kitchen] Tumble Dryer Start"
trigger:
    tag_id: xzzzzz
action:
  - if:
      - condition: numeric_state
        entity_id: counter.cycles_since_tank_last_emptied
        above: 2
    then:
        data:
            Empty the water tank first! I'll wait a minute before starting the
            timer!
      - delay:
          hours: 0
          minutes: 1
          seconds: 0
          milliseconds: 0
  - service: timer.start
    data:
      duration: "1:42:00"
    target:
      entity_id: timer.tumble_dryer_time_remaining
  - service: input_boolean.turn_off
    target:
      entity_id: input_boolean.tumble_dryer_is_empty
  - service: counter.increment
    target:
      entity_id: counter.cycles_since_tank_last_emptied

Hope that helps - If you manage to refine it, I’d love to see what you come up with too! :slight_smile:

Thanks should be perfect for what I need.

1 Like