Nmap tracker causing constant WiFi disconnects on certain devices

Curious if anyone else is having this problem?

It only seems to affect my Samsung S9+ och my wife’s Samsung S9 as far as I can see and it only started happening after we upgraded to Android Pie. I initially thought it was a DHCP issue as the issue resolved itself after changing the static IP addresses for the two devices. I forgot to update the nmap hosts though and after changing them today, the issue has reappeared. The logs reports nmap not responding in time but nothing else.

I’m having this same exact issue with my Note 8. Did you ever find a fix? I’m on lan from my pie to Netgear router. Using bluetooth and Nmap with static (reserved) IPs. My wife has an iphone X that does not seem to be affected.

I’ve tried everything from factory resetting/updating firmware on my router to resetting all network settings on the phone.

When my PI (running HASSIO) is up, the drops are random and frequent. After stopping the server, no drops at all.

Unfortunately not. Decided to wait until a new update is pushed to my phone to see if it makes any difference.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I’ll let everyone know if i find a fix, but think I’m right there with you. Waiting for an update from Samsung.

BOZG!!! I think I may have found a solution bud. It’s been hours and still going strong without a drop (fingers crossed). I saw on another post someone changing the NMAP port and this seemed to work for our WiFi disconnect issue. Just add this to your config.yaml and reset.Try it out and let me know if it worked for you too.
indent preformatted text by 4 spaces

device_tracker:  
 - platform: nmap_tracker
   scan_options: " -Pn -p 5060 "
2 Likes

I’ll give it a try when I get home!

The Netgear tracker stopped working when I recently swapped routers so having a working nmap tracker would be great!

Same here. I went from a old Linksys E3000 to the Netgear Nighthawk R6700. This is when NMAP started giving me guff. Really early to say it’s 100% fixed, but so far so good. Hope it holds and helps you too.

Turned out to be one step forward, one step back.

No more WiFi disconnects but now I’ve noticed that nmap is unable to get Mac addresses for my devices (which seems to be a Docker issue). Must have missed it previously as my devices were already in known_devices from when the Netgear tracker worked.

Darn! Yeah, same here with the WiFi issues disappearing, but keeps setting my wifes iphone x as away (anywhere from 1-10mis). My Note 8 is solid purple (home) now with no drops. I tried setting the consider_home: 600, and it helps, but doesn’t fix the issue.

I’m wondering if my device mac addresses are also not being picked up by Hassio. How did you discover this? Where did you go to check? Thanks for the advice and updates.

It shows up in my logs in Portainer that I use for managing my Docker containers. I presume that info is pulled from the logs in Home Assistant in some way though it doesn’t show up in HA for me by default anyway. You could also try removing your device from known_devices.yaml to see if nmap re-adds it. As far as I can see, nmap won’t add a device if it can’t find its mac.

Have you tried setting home_interval to see if that works better than consider_home?

Just wanted to let you know I am experiencing the same issue. I’ll let you know if I get anywhere.

I have been having the same issues until today.

I have added scan options as below and I did not have a dropout in the last 1 hour.

scan_options:  " --privileged -sn "

I have very little knowledge on Nmap and this may not work on your device.

I switched to letting HA access my router.

I switched to letting HA access my router.

Just a quick update that I have not had any issues since I changed approaches.

Hi, what did you do to let ha access router? I’d quite like to do this too.

Hi Optimus, it was straightforward. I created an additional limited user in the Unifi Controler that has read-only permissions. This user is used by hassio. The following page explains how to set up Presence Detection (device tracking): https://www.home-assistant.io/components/unifi/#presence-detection

Let me know how you make out.

1 Like

Hey Shampain! Thank you for sharing. I know it’s been a while, but still struggling with with this stupid nmap and the constant wifi drops on my Note 8. We were between places, so didn’t bother getting HASSIO up at the rental. Plugged in the Pi a couple days ago and bam… “disconnected”. I’m ditching NMAP and going to your setup. Has it been giving you any trouble? Thanks again for sharing your findings.

@weav sorry I just caught this reply now. It has worked well.

1 Like