No entities in Node-red integration - What did I do wrong?

Followed the installation instructions from here:

But don’t get any entities

Node-red was pre-installed through HACS. I already had flows so i didn’t want to delete it.
I overwrote the contents of /custom_components/nodered/ with the downloaded version.
This didn’t make any difference, even after multiple restarts and refreshes.

Can anyone recommend how I can install NR companion and keep my existing flows?

You need to create or expose your existing nodes to HA. In the blue home assistant nodes, some have the option to expose to HA by the bottom. Or use the entity node to create a sensor.

That fixed it.

None of the documents and forums I read obviously mentioned adding and entity for a sensor.

The NR companion integration leads to the websockets documents.
https://zachowj.github.io/node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket/guide/custom_integration/

Maybe I can find a reference to it now I know what keywords to look for.

Hello all

I would like to learn how to build automations in Node red.

I am running HA as a VM on a proxmox 8 delr720 server

I have installed NR addon from the HA addon page installed it configured the security and then started it.
I re started HA

I go to the left panel of HA and launch ND
NR opens and i see the HA pallet on the left hand side of the screen
I select a node event state and drag it to the center field
I click on the node and the configuration window for the node appears… so far so god

In this window home assistant server is not shown I select the pencil to add a server and a new window “add a new server node” with home assistant appears and i tick using the home4 assistant addon

The even node state window reappears with home assistant in the server box

I give the node a name
I add home assistant as a server and tick

i go to the entity box and no entities appear.

I deleted NR and restarted HA

I repeated the process mentioned above. Same result

I rebooted the VM and the server to no avail

When I go to manage pallet and i see the node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket and i look at the available nodes

ha_entity_filter
server
ha_device_config and
ha_entity_config
all have a blank box next to them

what could be my next step

Thank you in advance for any help’

I think you need to deploy that node without any other config in it, just configure the server then deploy it. drag a new node on after the deploy finishes and you should see entities.

Thank you for your your reply

I installed NR, added the security disabled ssh started ND. log presented no errors

I restarted HA and i stopped the HA vm on proxmox and restarted it

I started NR log no errors

i inserted into the field an event state node and as you said without configuring it i deployed it
the devices and entities did show up.

Excellent
I configured the envent state as a motion sensor and deployed it 

I then added a call service and configured it a a light  and deployed it successfully

I got green buttons under both yet the light did not turn on 

Now i just need to learn how to use it

Once again thank you for your help and patience . 
This was greatly appreciated

I also had the issue where the input node couldn’t be pressed (greyed out), and creating new flows was also not possible anymore. Entities couldn’t be selected in a flow either.
After searching for a long time, it turned out the problem was that Node-RED was getting stuck due to too many nodes being loaded. The RFXCOM integration in Home Assistant was set to automatically add new devices, and it had added more than 1600 devices. After searching for a while again, I found a JavaScript somewhere on how to automatically remove these +1600 integrations.
After this, Node-RED worked again as I was used to.