No GUI after update - pychromecast error

Thought I’d have another bash at autoconfiguring. So far so good.

My steps:

• Made sure that all chomecast devices had their own IP
  • Removed chromecast apps from Firestick (just so as not to confuse anything as I didn’t use them anyway)
  • Backep up all HA dirs to easily rebuild should it fail
  • Tested restart from SSH & tested reboot from SSH (both worked and came back fine)
  • Autoconfigured Chromecast devices.
  • Checked HA restarted
  • Checked HA rebooted
  • :grinning:

My system RPI3 running Hassio 0.82.0
1 Chromecast 2nd gen (I think)
1 Chromecast ultra
1 Chromecast Audio
1 Google Home
1 Google Home Mini

That sound promising!

I’m actually about to do the exact same thing, I’ll post the results as soon as I got some to share.
I did notice some things though, one of my Google Home Minis didn’t show any sign of being connected to my WiFi but it still played music just fine. Maybe this is one of the issues that locked us out in the first place, reason being that the device isn’t responding correctly.
Anyhow I’m gonna give the last cast devices static ip’s, backup, then restart and see how everything goes.

1 Like

Update:

So all cast devices are back again :smiley: And still there after restart of HA (even better)
So the way I did it was as follows:

1. Gave all cast units static IP’s
  2. Manually added them in configuration.yaml as described in the Google Cast instructions.
  3. Restarted HA and voila! All there.
  4. Added them back to my groups and restarted HA once again.

Now there is a catch though, my speaker groups are of course not present, anyone have an idea how to get them back without auto discovery?

If you are fully backed up, I’d give the autoconfig a go. Mine is still playing nicely, and It’s had about 30 reboots today as I was playing with the frontend theme.

I have all my groups working too.

You’re probably right and I’ll give it a go. Could be that the issue is addressed as well.
Gonna keep my fingers crossed and see what happens next :slight_smile:

So a bit of an update. First of I’m still using fixed ips and manual setup.
So I had a bit of a hickup today, upgraded to the latest HA and restarted, now I’ve been having issues with my ASUSWRT device tracking so I thought maybe this would help.
Once back I noticed that my main device tracker devices still had the state not_home, so I did a manual state update to them thinking it might fix the issue at hand.
Restarted once again was greeted with a white screen, a HA notification popped up telling me that some stuff was written to the log. Never seen this before, so I checked the log and there was an Frontend ForEach error, real strange but on the next line…surprise! pychromecast timeout.
So what to do now, well I went into Putty and restarted HA and to my surprise It actually worked again, GUI loaded up without a hitch.

So I will try and autoconfigure my cast devices this week and I guess we’ll see how that goes.

If it helps any, I got a warning during manual upgrade of hassbian that a certain file was incompatible in python, and if memory serves it said something like “chromecrypt” or “dome” or something, perhaps a cause?

About to rollback to the disk image I took before upgrading. Cannot get my GUI regardless of the instructions above.

If it’s helpful, I was running into the same errors with with no UI and the same:
[pychromecast.socket_client] Failed to connect, retrying in 5.0s
After a lot of trial an error I found that the OwnTracks component was what was causing my error. I disabled it and the UI came back and oddly enough no more pychromecast error.

Update, I did just see
[pychromecast.socket_client] Failed to connect, retrying in 5.0s
Show up in my logs again. It took some time to show up though.

I still get these errors in the log as well but I haven’t had any problems with the UI since adding my GH units through Discovery again.
Looks like it is resolved :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
I cannot update my HA (docker) after 0.102.0. It is freezing here:

> INFO (SyncWorker_9) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded cast from homeassistant.components.cast

and configuration.yaml is like this for discovery:

> discovery:
>   ignore:
>     - google_cast

How may I entirely disable this *** component?

Thank you