No idea why HA is not showing up!?

Hello all,

My name is Lars and I’m new in to HA. I want to start up my RPI 3 B+ for the first time, but I am facing some difficulties. I’ve downloaded the home assistant image for the RPI 3 B+, extracted it at my desktop and wrote the image to my SanDisk 32GB MSD (using BalenaEtcher). I’ve connected the LAN cable and the power (2,5A) supply. I can see the red light on the RPI burning and I see the green light at my router sometimes flashing (like normal ethernet does). The green and red light at the ethernet connection on the RPI are continuously on (but quite weak).

I have waited for more than 30 mins and tried to access my HA at ‘http://homeassistant.local:8123’, I got the following message: This site is not reachable -> “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN”.

I then tried to access my (Ziggo) router (192.168.178.1) to see if I can recognize the RPI in the list with connected devices and could not find it, I’ve tried exchanging my Philips Hue ethernet cable with the RPI one and also tried different ethernet ports. Whenever I switched to another ethernet port for my Philips Hue or Tado thermostat it was also changed in the list with connected devices within the Ziggo environment.

I then tried to make the CONFIG/network/my-network (without .txt extension file) first of all with my WLAN configuration, I had no luck.

I then tried to make the CONFIG/network/my-network (without .txt extension file) with the default configuration, I had no luck, see below:

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=f62bf7c2-e565-49ff-bbfc-a4cf791e6add
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

I then tried to make the CONFIG/network/my-network (without .txt extension file) with the default configuration plus static IP, I had no luck, see below:

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=f62bf7c2-e565-49ff-bbfc-a4cf791e6add
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=manual
address=192.168.1.111/24;192.168.1.1
dns=8.8.8.8;8.8.4.4;

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

What am I doing wrong?

Every attempt is ending up with the error: This site is not reachable -> “DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN”.

Any kind of help would be very much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Kind regards, Lars

Have you tried a simple

http://ip.addr.of.pi:8123

Or attaching a monitor?

Hi Nickrout,

Thanks for your answer, I unplugged my RPI from the power supply and connected a monitor with a HDMI cable. Powered it on and unfortunately I’ve had a black screen all the time. No response at all, I’m sure I’m on the HDMI channel at the monitor.

In my router admin environment I still can’t see my RPI as a device.

I’ve bought the RPI new, but I’m wondering if it is working at all then? Since the installation of HA looks quite easy to show up something. Is there simple way that I can test if the RPI is working at all?

Thanks.

Download noobs from the RaspberryPi foundation, flash it to a SD card and see if you get something on your monitor. It should at least confirm your Pi is working or not.

2 Likes

I’ve tried, no luck… Screen is still black. I can also not see the RPI in my network admin environment.
I’m now going to contact the RPI supplier.

Thanks.

1 Like

As I’ve seen online all the retailers are out of stock.
Just to be sure I’ve tried with another SD card, and guess what; now it works.

Conclusion; the SD card was the problem, this might help others out if they would read this thread when facing the same issues…

1 Like