Node-red automation beginner questions

I have node-red v8 in a container and connect to HA container. The installation command I used was:
docker run -it -p 1880:1880 --name mynodered nodered/node-red-docker:v8

1). When I create an automation in node-red and deployed to HA, I didn’t see any change on the automation.yaml file in HA. Where are those automations saved in HA?
2). In node-red, I can do import/export flows. Are those flows also saved inside of the node-red container? Is there a particular folder in the container that I can use docker -v flag to map that folder in the host machine? So in case of re-create the node-red container, the flows/settings will be still there. Basically we can get rid of export manually as backup.
3). When using an entity, where can I get/check all available state values for that particular entity?

Thanks.

Node red doesn’t really have anything to do with home assistant. It connects over an API and reads/sets states/attributes. It doesn’t add anything to automations in yaml because they are completely different things. Node red is running on its own.

No. Data should never be stored in a container.

Yes. The node red docs specify this.
https://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/docker

From the developer tools in home assistant under the states page, or by dumping the entity state to a debug node, using the entire message object rather than the msg.payload.

A bit confused here. So all automations are saved in node-red itself and node-red should be running all the time together with HA? How node-red is got notified from HA for event change to trigger the flow?

Thanks. Exactly what I want.

This only show the current state, but I don’t see all possible states for the entity.

Thanks!

Yes. Node Red is a completely separate application. It actually has zero ties with Home Assistant. It is used in many different areas outside of Home Assistant. If you use Node Red, it has to be running in order for the flows to run, because the flows run on Node Red.

Like I said, the Node Red Home Assistant palette uses the websocket API to talk to Home Assistant and listen for changes.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks.