Node-RED broke on update and I can’t get it back

I am fairly new at this. I have gotten all of my devices in HA and started configuring automations and applying theme’s etc. I installed Node-Red early on, launched it and realized I was in over my head. Now that everything is set up I figured I would take a look at it again. I went to update it and something failed. I can no longer start the add-on. I get this error in the logs.

19-06-10 13:00:36 ERROR (SyncWorker_14) [hassio.docker] Can't start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 403 Client Error: Forbidden ("endpoint with name addon_a0d7b954_nodered already exists in network host")

I have tried uninstalling and rebooting. I made sure I had my private key in there and made usernames and passwords for those sections as well. I have tried removing the Node-red folder in the file system but I keep getting the error.

Do I have to start over from scratch with home assistant? Is there something like a registry in windows were I can completely de-register the add-on or does anyone know a fix?

I am sorry if this has already been covered. I did a fair amount of searching first but maybe I wasn’t asking the right questions. I found other posts with the same error for other add-ons but no one had a resolution that I have found.

Thanks for you consideration.

So I attempted installing portainer.io. I removed the Node-RED container and loaded it from scratch. Sadly I am still getting.

19-06-14 18:11:17 ERROR (SyncWorker_8) [hassio.docker] Can’t start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 403 Client Error: Forbidden (“endpoint with name addon_a0d7b954_nodered already exists in network host”)

I really wish I could figure out where that is listed in the “network host” so I can reload it. I am not excited about starting all over again.

I finally got this fixed tinkering around. Here are the steps I took:

1. Uninstall Node-RED
  2. Open the portainer add-on and delete the container referencing Node-RED
  3. Go to Hass.io>System and reload Supervisor
  4. Reboot the whole system from Hass.io>System
  5. Install Node-RED
  6. Cross fingers

So far I have been able to restart the server and add-on and its still working. This was really scary for me and I stopped all development until I fixed it. I was ready to start offering bounties cause I really didn’t want to start over. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read the post.

Hi @TryingHA,

Since yesterday, I have the same error, but I don’t have HA installed on Docker.

I have a simple Pi 4 running Hassio. And the NodeRed is giving me:

ERROR (SyncWorker_10) [hassio.docker] Can't start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 403 Client Error: Forbidden ("endpoint with name addon_a0d7b954_nodered already exists in network host")

I already tried to:

• Uninstall and Install again
  • Put back a snapshot created yesterday
  • Uninstall + Delete nodered folder inside config + create the db file again

Do you have any idea how I can solve this issue?

If you are using Hass.io AKA Home Assistant Core then it is docker by default its just not obvious. It runs its own internal docker instance so portainer is still relevant. Install it and give it a shot like I listed above. It worked for me and a few people I helped out on reddit as well. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply @TryingHA.

For now start working, just because I changed the SSL to false.

Thx for the guide!

I am running Hassio and have installed the “portainer” add-on.

I can’t see any container under “Container”

I can see a image under “Images” named node-red.

Should I delete the image? (and not the container as mentioned in point 2)

UPDATE
I found my containers ([SOLVED ]Issue with portainer says No container available - but there is)
But as you can see below I cant see the node-red container.
It is

I have 9 containers running

When I click on the primary above I can see 10 containers

When I open the 10 containers I can only see 9? (Node-red is missing)

Any tips would be appreciated :slight_smile:

UPDATE 2
Now I tried the following

• Uninstalled Node-red
  • Removed the node-red folder in “config”
  • I cant see the container in portainer (after uninstalling I only see 9 containers)

When I restart the hassio I still get the error below? (in the log) How can that be when I have removed all node-red?

ERROR (SyncWorker_1) [hassio.docker] Can't start addon_a0d7b954_nodered: 403 Client Error: Forbidden ("endpoint with name addon_a0d7b954_nodered already exists in network host")

20-02-29 10:19:35 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Don't wait anymore of Home Assistant startup!
20-02-29 10:19:35 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Task exception was never retrieved
future: <Task finished coro=<process_lock.<locals>.wrap_api() done, defined at /usr/src/hassio/hassio/utils/__init__.py:20> exception=HomeAssistantError()>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/utils/__init__.py", line 29, in wrap_api
    return await method(api, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/homeassistant.py", line 381, in restart
    await self._block_till_run()
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/homeassistant.py", line 588, in _block_till_run
    raise HomeAssistantError()
hassio.exceptions.HomeAssistantError

All suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

ran into the same problem, all same errors. Did you ever find a solution ?