Node-RED calling the wrong entity

I am moving my automations to Node-RED. I have one node which is a Call-Service to turn on a Zigbee outlet that controls my monitors and light in my office. However, whenever I trigger this flow, instead of just turning on the outlet, it also turns on my fan and fan-lights, which is a Z-Wave device. This works fine as an automation in HA. I have tried switching the group from light to switch, and also homeassistant and either it doesn’t work at all, or it turns both devices on.

You should always post your flow when experiencing problems. To do that see this post. You can use the scrubber to remove any server information.

That said I’m going to guess in the call service you defined a device. Avoid defining devices in NR. Always just use the entity if one is available. If that isn’t the problem please provide the flow.

1 Like

Thank you!

[{“id”:“61c2a53f2378c910”,“type”:“server-state-changed”,“z”:“7c96aa43c70619e0”,“d”:true,“name”:“Office motion”,“server”:“”,“version”:5,“outputs”:2,“exposeAsEntityConfig”:“”,“entityId”:“binary_sensor.office_motion_sensor_motion”,“entityIdType”:“exact”,“outputInitially”:false,“stateType”:“str”,“ifState”:“off”,“ifStateType”:“str”,“ifStateOperator”:“is”,“outputOnlyOnStateChange”:true,“for”:“1”,“forType”:“num”,“forUnits”:“minutes”,“ignorePrevStateNull”:false,“ignorePrevStateUnknown”:false,“ignorePrevStateUnavailable”:false,“ignoreCurrentStateUnknown”:false,“ignoreCurrentStateUnavailable”:false,“outputProperties”:[{“property”:“payload”,“propertyType”:“msg”,“value”:“”,“valueType”:“entityState”},{“property”:“data”,“propertyType”:“msg”,“value”:“”,“valueType”:“eventData”},{“property”:“topic”,“propertyType”:“msg”,“value”:“”,“valueType”:“triggerId”}],“x”:110,“y”:320,“wires”:[[“bdf0c00173e877fc”],[“9a88d3dfcdf19594”]]},{“id”:“bdf0c00173e877fc”,“type”:“api-call-service”,“z”:“7c96aa43c70619e0”,“name”:“Turn off office equipment”,“server”:“”,“version”:5,“debugenabled”:false,“domain”:“homeassistant”,“service”:“turn_off”,“areaId”:[“office”],“deviceId”:,“entityId”:[“light.office_equipment_outlet_light”],“data”:“”,“dataType”:“jsonata”,“mergeContext”:“”,“mustacheAltTags”:false,“outputProperties”:,“queue”:“none”,“x”:470,“y”:300,“wires”:[]},{“id”:“9a88d3dfcdf19594”,“type”:“api-call-service”,“z”:“7c96aa43c70619e0”,“name”:“Turn on office equipment”,“server”:“”,“version”:5,“debugenabled”:false,“domain”:“homeassistant”,“service”:“turn_on”,“areaId”:[“office”],“deviceId”:[“a90568595b70b77047fc7e429d6d42e7”],“entityId”:,“data”:“”,“dataType”:“jsonata”,“mergeContext”:“”,“mustacheAltTags”:false,“outputProperties”:,“queue”:“none”,“x”:470,“y”:360,“wires”:[[“9d029f509c41f804”]]}]

I think currently I have it defined by Device. However, I have also tried it with just the Entity name.

I just changed it to the entity, but it still turns on my fan/lights.

I just looked at the Core log, and there’s a warning:

Referenced entities light.office_equipment_outlet_light are missing or not currently available.

You have the area id set so it attempting to turn on/off everything in that area.

So if I specify an area, it ignores the Device or Entity?

Yes, that fixed it. Thank you so much!