Node-RED Docker Compose

Is there a docker compose file for Node-Red that someone has completed?

And where would one download the latest Node-RED plugin for Home Assistant if you didn’t install it using Hass.io?

??

Right in node red from the palette manager. Get the websocket version

Thanks, it was telling it to run as root that I was missing. Now to go back and figure out how to make both HomeAssistant and Node-Red not run as root. But at least now I have something that’s all dockerized with the config folders in Github.

Why?

Docker containers running as root isn’t all bad and if you change that (which would mean building a new image for HA), you will break things.

I’ve rebuilt the image a few times already for kicks and giggle, and actually it survived fine - I mapped the configuration directory locally.

There’s a guide here:

https://nodered.org/docs/platforms/docker

On how to use node-red with docker :slight_smile:

This docker compose worked for me. If you already havea docker-compose , add this to the existing section.

nodered:
container_name: node-red
image: nodered/node-red-docker
volumes:
- /home/node-red:/data
ports:
- “1880:1880”
user: 1000:1000
restart: always

If you need the whiole docker-compose file, let me know and I ill edit my reply.

Hi, how do you make Node-red to also start with docker-compose? I see with docker ps -a that it is there, but web interface is not up. I have to do docker run -it -p 1880:1880 --name mynodered nodered/node-red-docker. I’m a docker noob. But homeassistant works with same docker-compose.

I want that with docker-compose up -d everything fires up. My docker-compose looks like this now

version: '3'
services:
  homeassistant:
    container_name: home-assistant
    image: homeassistant/home-assistant
    volumes:
      - /home/tuomas/homeassistant:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    network_mode: host
  nodered:
    container_name: node-red
    image: nodered/node-red-docker
    volumes:
      - /home/tuomas/node-red:/data
    ports:
      - "1880:1880"
1 Like

Slight aside, but I put together a Docker image for Node Red that includes the Home Assistant palette: https://hub.docker.com/r/efirestone/node-red-ha

It should hopefully save everyone a few setup steps.

1 Like

Great, I will test it.
Do you plan to provide a documentation too with the full integration of the tool within HomeAssistant ?

…and regular updates ?

BTW, Thanks for the work.