Node-Red does not autocomplete the entity IDs or other fields

Hi all,

I’m getting a bit frustrated with my new install of node red add-on. It doesn’t seem to behave the same way as all the instructions and blogs.

When I drop a Home Assistant node onto the canvas and use the default server, it doesn’t work gives me a “disconnected” error:

“Error: Invalid access token or password for websocket”

If I check the “I use the home assistant Add-on” or if I use the IP address and access token, I get a connection, but… when I enter values in some of the fields like Entity ID, it doesn’t automatically show me the list of available entities.

I see in YouTube blogs that I should be expecting it to give me a list of available options as I type, but I don’t get that. Is there something I need to do to have that feature on?

If it says “disconnected” can you really be upset that it doesn’t auto-fill entities?

Note that after you add a new configuration you need to click “deploy” in the top right for that to be applied.

What’s your setup? Pi, docker, VM?
I assume Hass.io as you have “Add-on” mentioned in your post.

1 Like

Thanks @fanuch. I was just pointing out that even though all the blogs I’ve seen state that it should just work out of the box, it doesn’t.

When I select the addon option, it does connect. I did deploy first and the came back. It then does eventually connect and I can manually enter the entity ID to get the correct value, but auto-fill still doesn’t work.

I’m using Hassio on a virtual box VM on top of Windows.

I’ll be honest, it was touch-and-go when I spun up Node Red.
It felt like options weren’t “sticking” even though I had the right settings.

Can you see logs?
Try increasing the verbosity of your logs as per the configurations to see if there’s something not going right.

Also, I remember that my HA ended up blocking Node Red in the ip_bans file. Not sure if you have that enabled in your HA config!

1 Like

Stop reading blogs.

Oh thanks mate. You have such expert advice.

The documentation is here https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-node-red/blob/376d703dd27261a0e1efbaa7cece3d476291a999/README.md, not in some blog.

Have you restarted Node Red after adding the entity? Auto-complete will not work until after a restart.

Thank. I did restart. But still doesn’t. it does work fine when I enter the value manually though.

Just to be clear, restarting HA does not restart Node Red. You have to restart it through Supervisor.

Ok I went into Configurations --> Server Controls --> Restart in Server Management section

Is that the right one?

No, you are not in the supervisor and the screenshot you show restarts home assistant, not node red.

Ahh OK I got it. Thankyou everyone. That did the job. It’s auto filling now.

1 Like

This is a year-old thread but I just had this frustrating error on my Home Assitant Docker.

Final Moments:

1. docker logs -f
  2. Save the server config then Deploy.

The key actions for my situation is just to Deploy the Full Flow then restart node-red container then refresh the page.

I am not sure what’s happening, but there are some buggy behaviours that I am seeing. But my node-red now works.

Thx for sharing your trick. Node-Red works normal after restarting the container, like you told here. Did you ever find a full solution for the problem, because at my system it stops working again, when I close Node-Red.

Greetings,

André